Author Topic: Pistol Loading Stand - required at shooting range  (Read 5126 times)

Offline RonC

Pistol Loading Stand - required at shooting range
« on: September 01, 2015, 08:50:35 PM »
The muzzleloading range I go to requires that all firearms face up when not at the firing line, pistols included. So, I decided to build a pistol loading stand with a section that would reduce the impact on the stock of a "Patriot" pistol. The Patriot pistol has been known to break at the grip near the trigger guard when place in a typical loading stand. I had a pre-built wooden basket around and decided to use its parts as the basis of the stand. It isn't pretty, but so far it seems functional.
Here is the result:

Critique is always welcome!
Ron
Ron

Offline bigsmoke

Re: Pistol Loading Stand - required at shooting range
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 09:45:33 PM »
Handsome loading stand, Ron.
Looks like it ought to get the job done in style.
John

Offline RonC

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:32 PM »
Thank you, Sir!
Ron
Ron

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 02:15:29 AM »
Is it the FLMLC that requires the stand?  If they are required I'd better make one. 

It certainly is pretty enough! 

Are you planning on going to the State Shoot this weekend?
Mike Lee

Offline RonC

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 02:47:22 AM »
Yes, Sir. FLMLC it is.

There was a training session for range use a few weeks ago and we were told that the pistols and rifles must be pointed skyward to and from the firing line as well as the loading area.

The Buckhorn Skinners recruited me at the training, but that is a long drive to their site.

I plan to attend at least one day, although I hadn't planned to compete. I want to give all those young guys a chance. ;D

Are you going up to the shoot?
Ron
Ron

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 06:58:28 AM »
At least on Friday.  I have three grandsons playing football on Sat in three different locations.  I try to get to all their games so that takes care of Saturday.  Would like to get the boys to the Shoot on Sunday but the parents seem to have other plans.  Bow season is open so that is a possibility Sunday.

All in all I'll probably just shoot the percussion aggregate and call it a day.  Probably take some pictures for the Poke.  Maybe see you there.

Mike Lee

Offline Molly

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 02:15:09 PM »
Our BP group shot recently.  First time anyone brought a pistol.  One shooter used a similar stand.  Another did not.  I was between the two and can attest to the dangers and potential for accidents with pistols.  It is appropriate to require such a stand with a pistol.  What is FLMLC?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 05:53:50 PM by Molly »

Offline RonC

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 05:30:45 PM »
Molly,

That is the Ft. Lupton Muzzle Loading Club.
The range abuts the restored Ft. Lupton in Colorado, a trading post originally built in 1840. just north of Denver. It strictly is for traditional muzzle loaders. There also is a "mountain man" style organization, The Tallow River Trappers associated with the South Platte Valley Historical Society at the location. Another active group that visits the site are the Buckhorn Skinners.
There are "Trappers Days" and Rendezvous activities throughout the year.
This is a picture of me attending the 1840 opening of the original trading post. I was much younger, then:

;D
Ron
Ron

Offline Mick C

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »
Very clever and well done.  Hat's off to you Ron! .... Mick C
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline RonC

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 12:59:17 AM »
Thank you, Mick C!

Used it today and all worked out well.
Ron
Ron