Author Topic: Scrub Planes  (Read 22469 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Scrub Planes
« on: September 03, 2015, 07:49:39 AM »
Okay I have figured out planes but still don't know what the purpose of scrub planes is and how they could be useful in rifle building.  Are they for reduction of thickness?  And are they used with the grain or cross grain? 

Offline Longshot

Re: Scrub Planes
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 02:01:36 PM »
In practice, scrub planes are typically used in the first stage of taming/truing rough cut boards.  Accordingly, they serve to reduce dimension.  They are initially run diagonal to the grain and commonly employ a slightly convex, and rank set blade.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 07:15:11 PM »
Longshot, thanks for the reply.  One further question, what does rank set mean? 

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 07:21:26 PM »
Yup, diagonally. The irons are narrow and have pronouinced arc to the edge. Set for a heavy cut, the remove wood fast, leaving a pretty rough surface. That gets followed using a try or jack with the grain, and finishing up with a smoother. I used to build a lot of dining and coffee tables from heavy live edge slabs way too big for any machine to surface. I think working a rough board with handplanes is quicker and easier than manhandling larges, heavy wood back and forth around roaring machines. No ear protection, and you can hear the shop radio/music.

Scrub planes look dinky and overly simple, but are real powerhouses.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 03:23:36 PM »
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 02:25:13 AM »
Rank set means the plain iron is set to take a rather heavy cut or thick shaving. The iron is ground with a slight radius as previously mentioned so it works a little like a gouge.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Kermit

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 08:54:01 AM »
Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valey both put a 3” radius on the 1-1/2” wide blades of their scrub planes. A 3" radius on a 1 1/2" scrub plane iron gives about 3/32" relief from center to edge. Scrub planes have a wide throat to clear the very heavy shavings, almost more like chips.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 08:57:14 AM by Kermit »

kaintuck

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 07:03:34 PM »
these are used on green wood boards...........

Offline Kermit

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 09:42:35 PM »
I've never used my Stanley #40 scrub on green wood. I've attacked a lot of very dry, sometimes highly figured hardwoods in large slabs that needed a 36" planer--that I didn't have access to. I once went after a book matched pair of 40 year old claro walnut slabs 42" x 11' each for a huge conference table. They'd been cut with a chain saw mill and were cupped and in winding. I spent most of a week with handplanes on that project. The lowly looking little scrub plane is a powerhouse.

kaintuck

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 10:11:53 PM »
careful!!! use on hard dried stock wood~you could pull out the grain in these highly figured pieces....tiger striped and hard.....shave the wood, in fact, I use my cutoff Dewalt with a 40GT sanding disc..........OUTSIDE!! :o with a mask on!!!

and never with walnut...or cherry...that dust will kill me.................and tomtom!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 02:34:07 AM »
I PURELY HATE WOOD DUST ! I rarely sand anything any more. Too much exposure to nasty, toxic woods.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2016, 02:38:57 AM »
I converted a Stanley #4 to a scrub plane recently, it really hogs off the wood. I'm with Kermit on the wood dust and use a hand plane where possible. Except for a bandsaw and drill press I go hand tools mostly these days.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2016, 12:10:32 AM »
I converted a Stanley #4 to a scrub plane recently, it really hogs off the wood. I'm with Kermit on the wood dust and use a hand plane where possible. Except for a bandsaw and drill press I go hand tools mostly these days.

dave

Me too. Love the slow, quiet process of using hand tools.
Psalms 144

Offline JBJ

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 01:48:32 AM »
The discussion re wood dust is appropriate and more of us are bothered than we might at first realize. Check out the following: http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/. Kind of my "go to" re wood allergies, etc.
J.B.