Author Topic: Long range (200 - 300yd) roundball shooting?  (Read 31296 times)

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
Re: Long range (200 - 300yd) roundball shooting?
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2017, 07:15:23 AM »
I don't have this particular rear sight but I use the same methods as shown here:

Using_the_Peephorn by Sharps Man, on Flickr
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »
The buckhorn sight is a great sight for anyone who shoots both close and at a distance beyond 100 yards or so.  It appears to me that many shooters do not understand the advantages and/or how this sight is used.  I really don't have a legitimate need, currently, for this fine sight because I rarely shoot past 100 yards.  I do have a couple of them if ever needed and the one on a favorite rifle sadly got broken off.  Very good post, Sharpsman.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2017, 06:49:59 PM »
I couldn't do what that picture shows. That requires 4 different cheek welds to work.

I prefer to always mount the gun the same and use a different hold over on the targets

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2017, 11:48:41 PM »
The buckhorn sight is a great sight for anyone who shoots both close and at a distance beyond 100 yards or so.  It appears to me that many shooters do not understand the advantages and/or how this sight is used.  I really don't have a legitimate need, currently, for this fine sight because I rarely shoot past 100 yards.  I do have a couple of them if ever needed and the one on a favorite rifle sadly got broken off.  Very good post, Sharpsman.

For me, and using a slight variation of Fig. A at 200 yards and 100 grs. KIK 2F in the .50 rocklock and a standard rear barrel sight of the Hawken I see the dovetail of the front sight just even with the top of the V notch and I put the top of the front sight at the  6 o/clock position. It does this for me at 200 yards. The variation in cheek weld position would be so slight...for all practical purposes it's a moot issue!

PRB200tgt by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Six shots fired from 200 yards. Shot at 10 o/clock position was first shot when I was learning what sight picture/hold was going to be required...the remaining 5 shots I could cover with the palm of my hand. There's a 'double' at 3 o/clock position. These rifles are much more accurate than some folks think at the longer ranges. ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:30:32 PM by Sharpsman »
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Offline Woodsrunner79

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2017, 03:10:50 AM »
Sharpsman, that's MOD(minute of deer) all day long.