Author Topic: ??? about "I WAS FREE BORN" rifle  (Read 5245 times)

Offline t.caster

??? about "I WAS FREE BORN" rifle
« on: September 05, 2015, 01:45:38 AM »
I am thinking of building something like the "FREE BORN" rifle RCA#114, for my next project. RCA vol. II says the maker and location are unknown and loosely attributes it to a southern local. That's very vague.
Has any NEW information turned up on it since  vol. II was published???

I am also looking at the Moravian rifle RCA#42, for the project after that. Where is/was Bethabara N.C. located???
Thanks for your insite!

Tom
Tom C.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: ??? about "I WAS FREE BORN" rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 03:04:44 AM »
Tom, I've corresponded with an owner of the Free Born rifle and there have been no new insights about where it was made.  I have thought there are some features similar to early York county rifles.

The attribution of RCA 42 by Wallace Gusler is carefully reasoned but is just a hypothesis.  It is as easy or easier to make a case that it was made in Pennsylvania where other early side opening patchbox rifles were made.  Occam's razor works for me.  However because Wallace attributed it, the Bethabara theory carries more weight than if others made the same argument.
Andover, Vermont

Offline wormey

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 03:55:54 AM »
Tom, Bethabara is/was located in the northern section of what is now Winston-Salem, N.C. Wormey

Offline rtadams

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 04:05:26 AM »
9-4-15

Tom,

Bethabara. NC settled by the Moravians in 1753 and is located on the North side of Winston-Salem, NC. This is the location of the first settlement of the Moravains prior to moving and building the Moravian settlement of Salem NC which was later incorporated into Winston to become Winston-Salem NC. Bethabara NC is now a historical location with a few building still standing, restored and open to the public.
Google "Bethabara NC"" to find references.

Best Regards,

Robert  

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 05:10:50 PM »
I'll expand a bit  on Rich's comments regarding RCA 42 and state that the Wallace Gusler's articles on longrifle evolution, and specifically his hypothysis on origin of RCA 42, along with Eric Kettenburg's counterpoint articles in MB were among the best exchange of ideas I have read on longrifle evolution. One of EK's main points was the the Georg Leyendecker patchbox lid with PA provenance which is of the same design as RCA 42's lid.   

Offline t.caster

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2015, 11:06:42 PM »
I have Gusler's articles but I didn't get the MB with Eric's counterpoints.
Tom C.

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 03:17:37 AM »
There is an article on Eric Kettenberg's site on  RCA 42.

http://www.erickettenburg.com/Site_2/Article_Index.html
Mike Westcott

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 03:36:29 PM »
It has been some years now since I've either seen this rifle or pictures of it. I do remember that there was some controversy about the builder or original owner being a Master Mason. The mere "I Was Free Born" is the initial tip-off, but either looking at the rifle or pictures of it--can't remember--other symbolism was evident of a Masonic connection.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 05:44:52 AM »
The "Free born" is a Scriptural reference.  Acts 22:28 I believe.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:47:38 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont