Author Topic: Benjamin Whitman, Stillwater, N.Y.  (Read 5155 times)

Offline GrampaJack

Benjamin Whitman, Stillwater, N.Y.
« on: September 06, 2015, 02:47:06 AM »
I was fortunate to pick up a very nice little side by side combination gun today. 27" barrels with the right 38 Cal. and the left appears to be 16 Ga. Very nice curly walnut stock. Left rifle trigger is adjustable. Cap box on the right side.  It also has a real neat fold down lollypop tang sight with both windage and elevation.  Engraved in nice script on the barrel rib is: "B Whitman - Stillwater NY". The locks are both stamped: "Warren Albany". Quite a bit of nicely done engraving including the locks.  All the engraving  appears to have been done by the same hand.  So far all I can find on Ben is Sellers has him working in Stillwater 1859 - 1874.  I was wondering if there is any more information out there? I'll post up some pictures if anyone is interested. Thanks, Jack
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:48:54 AM by GrampaJack »

Offline OLUT

Re: Benjamin Whitman, Stillwater, N.Y.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 03:55:39 AM »
Swinney's book has a bit more information on Benjamin Whitman as well as a photograph of  a "buck & ball side-by-side" percussion gun that he made. Apparently he was primarily a watchmaker (as stated in various census reports).

Offline Levy

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 08:22:33 PM »
Yes, pictures please!

j. Levy
James Levy

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 02:15:55 AM »
Ok, might take me a couple days but I'll get some pictures posted up.  Thanks for the information OLUT. I find it interesting that he was a watchmaker. The engraving is much better than most I have seen and almost has a British look to it although not as fine as the banknote type you see on a lot of British doubles. The watchmaking probably gave him some skills in this area. The guy I bought it from said he used it for squirrels for the past few years. Best Regards, Jack

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 03:00:37 AM »
Here are some pictures:

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 05:21:41 AM »
Very nice piece!  Congratulations on finding it.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 03:16:18 AM »
Agreed, nice find.
Buck

Offline Levy

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 08:25:45 PM »
You are indeed fortunate.  I have one that I use for squirrels, but it started life as a 24 gauge dbl and the left barrel was lined to a .29 cal.  It is a fun gun but heavy with 36" barrels.

James Levy
James Levy