Author Topic: I did it again - New Rifle - Al Anderson Mountain Rifle  (Read 12291 times)

Offline RonC

I did it again - New Rifle - Al Anderson Mountain Rifle
« on: September 09, 2015, 01:07:02 AM »
I sold an old dual-sport motorcycle and had some cash in hand.

Went to the State muzzle loader shoot and there before me lay a collection of rifles someone is selling.

I told my wife before leaving home that I wasn't looking to buy any more muzzleloaders even though I had just sold the bike. Sigh!

I came home with this 50 cal "Hawken" style that was built for Senior Class Rifle Competition and used for a 1st place finish in a woods walk. It has a Redfield Olympic Receiver and front sight. There are characteristics of it that are not period correct, but for the price, I would have been struck by lightening if I didn't buy it. At least that is what I told my wife.
I hope that with the modern accouterments on the rifle, I am still within bounds of talking about it here.

The only piece I don't care for is the front ramrod thimble that is a simple loop attached by a hex-star screw into the bottom of the barrel. That will be changed when I find a more correct thimble that will mount there using a screw with a less modern head.
The rifle has been around for a while and was built by a local fellow, Al Anderson, I was told. The Redfield Olympic Receiver Sights were made between the 1940s and 1976, so I suspect that the rifle is 20 years or more old. I'll have to contact the builder to check. He kept it in immaculate condition. The bore is beautiful.

Ron
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 05:40:14 PM by RonC »
Ron

Offline Molly

Re: I did it again - New Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »
Brings up an interesting thought.  SIGHTS!

All the hype about long range shooting but no one really mentions what sort of sights they use.  This rifle may not have a "scope" but clearly one will achieve better results with these sights that "original" style sights.  I saw a build in progress for a shooter involved in competition.  Apparently some events allow such adaptations.  I know I could shoot better with this arrangement.  I had tang and hooded front sights on my Sharps and it make s huge difference.  But on a historical replica it's not what I would want.

BUT, no offense to those that do!

BTW, nice looking rifle.

Offline RonC

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 07:16:14 PM »
Thanks for your comment, Molly.
The important phrase was that this rifle was designed for the Senior class.
I think that some shoots have a Senior class that permits peep sights for the older, sight compromised crowd, and some that don't.

With developing cataracts, I find that peep sights can keep me in the game. Cataracts change the shape of the lens such that a person may lose distance vision. It is difficult for me to focus on the front sight or the target unless I am wearing my tri-focal glasses. Even then, it is a struggle. Peep sights effectively eliminate that problem.

As you say, the peep sight is not HC or PC, but I am curious to see how they function when I get this rifle to the range. If I don't like the aperture sight, I'll replace them with more a propos iron sights. All my other traditional muzzle loaders are classic iron sight.
Ron
Ron

Offline One Eye

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 07:26:37 PM »
We have an obligation to provide these orphans a good home :)
Best,
One Eye
"Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace..."
 Proverbs 17:28

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:13:12 PM »
Nice looking rifle. From the looks of what you have, I wouldn't worry about a pc ram rod pipe.
Mark
Mark

Offline RonC

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 01:02:49 AM »
Just learned that the rifle has a Getz barrel and Tom Faux lock.

Also, I am open to orphan firearms of all varieties. ;D

I won't let the ramrod pipe trouble me too much.

If all works out, I will get this little front stuffer to the range tomorrow.
Ron
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:38:34 AM by RonC »
Ron

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 03:58:26 AM »
Nice rifle!  Did Tom also build the rifle?

I was looking seriously at a nice .50 hunting rifle he had on the table but it was just a bit on the heavy side for this old gimp.
Mike Lee

Offline RonC

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 05:44:43 AM »
I believe Tom said that Al Anderson built it. Please correct me if I am wrong. He was selling it for Mr. Anderson.
He had several very nice rifles on that table. One needed a fork lift to move. :o
Ron
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:45:40 AM by RonC »
Ron

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 08:18:28 AM »
I'm sure it is Anderson's work.   I overlooked that fact in your first post.
Mike Lee

Offline RonC

Re: I did it again - New Rifle - Al Anderson Mountain Rifle
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »
Sighted in the rifle at 50 yards the other day, a work in progress.
I leaned the barrel on some sandbags and held it with my elbows on a shooting table.
The Redfield Olympic peep sights were really helpful. I did have some trouble maintaining focus on the bulls eye through the small, front ring, and that accounts for some of the spread.
There were 6 shots in this target and they tore the target up because there was just almost no plywood behind it.

Ron
Ron

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 11:27:06 PM »
Looks good, I think it will be a winner.
Mike Lee

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 02:33:21 PM »
These days I like peep sights. I like scopes even better! ;D When I was young I sneered at both. ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JBJ

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 12:26:33 AM »
Mike,
I am in the same boat. Old age is a terrible task master. My wife reminds me that old age is not for sissies. Rather than not shooting, I'll just adapt to sights that make it possible. Tang sights are wonderful!
J.B.

Offline RonC

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2015, 12:07:55 AM »
One of my regrets is that I didn't get into this traditional muzzleloading until late in life after having developed some of th3e common issues of age, like eyesight change. But I'm very glad that I did become a part of the front stuffer community, regardless  of how late.

Oh, and I am writing this from Xi'an China without my flintlocks.
Ron
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 12:09:27 AM by RonC »
Ron

Offline heelerau

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 02:28:47 PM »
 I have recently been shooting a .451 Volunteer, first generation Parker Hale. I fitted a basic Uberti type tang sight with limited windage adjustment, it has a Lyman front sight. I am finding the combination rather good. My eyes only require a low power reading glass, but unfortunately my long sight is going as well. Fortunately the long barrels and long sight radius, I don't require glasses for shooting as yet. Just a hint of whats to come, at 54 guess am only a youngster by comparison to some of you hoary old timers. You give us younger blokes inspiration by your perseverance and good humour !! ;D
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Kermit

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2015, 06:44:34 PM »
Age and disability issues are what prompted the development of "table shoots." Sort of like chunk, but without all the up-and-down, and at shorter range--not so far to hike to the targets.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline RonC

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 02:20:19 AM »
I must admit that the Redfield peep sights made a great difference in my ability to aim the rifle and hit a single point repeatedly, but it wasn't perfect.
I could not clearly see the bullseye well enough to know exactly where I was aiming. Close, but not exactly.
As non-PC/HC as it is, I consider the peep sight a real help. Is it unfair to other shooters? Not if there is a special class for it like Kermit and others stated.
Would I use it if I could?  Probably not. I would prefer to shoot in the regular classes for the camaraderie and sense of competition even if I can't take first prize.
Ron
Ron

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 05:05:32 AM »
Ron, bring it out to next year's silhouette shoot.  We allow any iron.
Mike Lee