Author Topic: Wrist grain question  (Read 4370 times)

Offline tpr-tru

Wrist grain question
« on: September 15, 2015, 04:39:36 AM »
A while back Mike Brooks posted a method of drilling from under the tang through the wrist and epoxying a rod to strengthen the wrist when the grain ran unfavorable in appearance.   I have searched and can't find the post mentioned.  If Mike can elaborate on this I would appreciate it.    Thanks

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Wrist grain question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 02:17:31 PM »
Not much elaboration needed. Drill a hole a little bigger than your all thread rod and accraglass it in. It helps to have somebody help line up the drill so it drills in the right place with out coming out some where. It's been 20 years or more since I have done this. I fixed a broken wrist this way.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 06:53:57 PM »
Tpr-Tru

Here is another method that I have used a few times to fix a potentially weak wrist area.  This is from an old post:   

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=30985.0

Back in May (when I last had time to work on this rifle), Cailber45 mentioned the grain direction through the wrist as a potential problem.  Every time I looked at the unfinished rifle as I passed by the bench, the grain run out started to bother me.  So rather than wait until the wrist broke one day and then try to fix it, I thought I would be pro-active and fix it before it broke.

I routed out a deep groove 3/8 inch wide and 1.25 inches tall through the entire wrist area excavating the existing inletting for the trigger, trigger plate, and rear of the trigger guard.

I then cut a straight grain splint out of a scrap of the same stock blank and cut some narrow grooves in it to allow me to squeeze the epoxy out around the splint and get it fully seated in its groove.

One last full check fit before the epoxy was mixed.

Splint epoxied in place....

After a day of curing, the trigger, trigger plate and rear of the trigger guard were re-inletted back where they came from.

If the stock breaks at the wrist after this, I'll make a new stock.

I used the same technique on a Ferguson rifle I built as well.  Here is the link:   http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6184.0   The fix is on page 1
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:28:45 PM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 08:52:37 PM »
I really like the use of a splint to strengthen the wrist or any other weak/broken area.  Now if I just had a milling machine!   I have seen the same method used to repair smashed stocks on very pricey custom shotguns with values approaching $100,000.  The craftsman in those instances used very high quality plywood for the splint, which was completely hidden beneath the walnut exterior.  The plywood is going to be substantially stronger than plain wood splint so smaller sections more easily concealed were usable.  Dave's solution is really neat and hidden under the furniture well.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 11:59:02 PM »
I'm looking at hang to do this on my current build. Mike, why threaded rod? Gives the epoxy something more to adhere to? More surface area? I have a thin wrist and it scares me to do it, but do it I must.
Conqueordie

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 01:26:22 AM »
I'm looking at hang to do this on my current build. Mike, why threaded rod? Gives the epoxy something more to adhere to? More surface area? I have a thin wrist and it scares me to do it, but do it I must.
Conqueordie
Yes to all the above.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 02:03:09 AM »
I have fixed two broken wrists with the threaded rod and epoxy. If you should do it that way, make sure you have as Mike said someone or two to help keep you drilling straight. You wont regret it if you do and might regret it if you dont.

Offline tpr-tru

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 03:22:34 AM »
Gentlemen,  thank you all for your quick responses.