Author Topic: Jamestown NC Rifle  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
Jamestown NC Rifle
« on: September 21, 2015, 02:40:34 PM »
http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/jamestown-rifle-carolina-percussion-inlays-lamb-franklin-ledbetter-ward-merritt-wright-gardner.htm

Saw this posting with many good photos of a "prototypical" Jamestwon rifle and wanted to share it with those folks who haven't seen it.

O.M. Dixon maybe?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 02:57:03 PM by Sequatchie Rifle »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Jamestown NC Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 03:57:08 PM »
Nice rifle.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Re: Jamestown NC Rifle
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 06:23:39 PM »
This is a nice Jamestown Rifle.  It is too bad that the name on the barrel is no longer readable.  There were up to 80 gunsmiths working in Jamestown at the same time, all using the same stock architecture and inlays.  This makes it had to attribute to any one maker.

The silver side plate is unusual.  I have seen it before on another rifle, but do not remember which maker used it.  I would like to see the brass screws replaced, just does not look right to me.

Thanks for posting it.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs