Author Topic: Newly found Shreckengost rifle  (Read 6157 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Newly found Shreckengost rifle
« on: September 21, 2015, 04:32:53 PM »
This fine halfstock rifle signed Wm * Shreckengost is the first I have seen, having studied 65 or so of his rifles,
that bears the studded checkering sometimes found on the work of Melchoir Fordney and the Kuntz family.  The
rifle and horn have been passed down to the GGG Grandson of the maker.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:15:08 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

oakridge

Re: Newly found Shreckengost rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 06:51:04 PM »
WOW!  Got more pics?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:13:52 PM »
The mold is original to the rifle.

Signature

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:52:05 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 11:55:29 PM »
Well Rob I think if GGGrandfather Shreckengost was gonna build a rifle he ought to have put some decorative inlays on it.  You know, dress it... :D

Neat rifle. Got any other history about it, any stories? It is great that it has been kept in the family all this time.

dave

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 12:27:56 AM »
Nice looking rifle, and looks to be well done as well!

The mold must be something, as it looks like it's about as big as the butt stock, so about 14 inches long?

More pics of the rifle would sure be a treat!
John
John Robbins

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 01:16:53 AM »
[quote author JTR

The mold must be something, as it looks like it's about as big as the butt stock, so about 14 inches long?

More pics of the rifle would sure be a treat!
John

John, It's not a big mold it's a small rifle!

That's a neat rifle Rob. The condition looks great! Thanks for the pictures ! Have ya got any more?
JIM

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 01:38:49 AM »
Good looking rifle. You said its a half-stock and I assume it is but either that rear sight is closer to the breech than normal or it has a longer forearm than most half-stocks.
The rifle and horn have been passed down to the GGG Grandson of the maker.
That's great, I sure hope it stays in the maker's direct line. So many get sold to a pawn shop or otherwise leave the family for good.

*Just looked at it again and I was thinking the signature was in front of the rear sight but looking at the sight its behind the front sight so we can't tell how long the forearm is.*
Dennis

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:04:55 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 02:28:01 AM »
 No more pictures yet but they're on the way   The signature is between the rear site and the breach like most rifles. The only story is that the current owners great grandfather bought it from Levi Schrecongost both Levi and Lincoln continued their father's business after he had passed

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 03:27:40 AM »
Nice. Like to have that one hanging here at my place.
Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 06:25:22 PM »
I think the brass inlays between the cheek and butt were added at some later time.  None of those inlays are present in the
template collection and they don't look like the ones on any other rifle he made.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 11:36:55 PM »
I wouldn't pass judgement on those inlays just yet. After all, the never seen before wrist checkering makes this piece quite special. Perhaps something William wanted to do a bit differently and make his cut outs one time only.  ????
Joel Hall

Offline PPatch

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 02:11:59 AM »
I think the brass inlays between the cheek and butt were added at some later time.  None of those inlays are present in the
template collection and they don't look like the ones on any other rifle he made.

Perhaps a customer just had to have them.

It happens. Reminds me of my pottery making days and the customer who insisted on a cobalt blue glaze on these two huge bulbous planters he ordered which would sit at each end of his couch in his living room. I told him he wouldn't like all that blue, that it would be the only thing in the room. He insisted, I made them, he hated them "...too much blue! But he did eventually pay for them. they then sat in a corner of the shop for over a year before some lady went nuts over them and bought them.

dave
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:13:11 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?