Author Topic: Target ? Mountin Half stock with a Manton lock ?.... Help !  (Read 2953 times)

Harms Way

Target ? Mountin Half stock with a Manton lock ?.... Help !
« on: September 23, 2015, 05:50:21 AM »
Well guys,.... It happened again. I had to travel to the other side of the state to help a friend out. And passed a Gun Shop, I stopped on the way back and got to talking to the guy behind the counter. I told him I like project guns... He said "Stay right there !"

He went in a back room and came out with this old smoke pole. Covered with a lot of dust and dirt.. I look it over and asked "How Much ?"

Shocked with the price he told me, I was on it like a hobo on a ham sandwich !..... It has a "Joseph Manton" lock,... the barrel is 1 1/4" across the flats, And is 32" long,... its .45 Caliber and looks to have a 1 in 40" twist. Overall length is 48"

One very distinctive feature is that it looks to have a cheek piece on both sides of the stock,... In these pictures I cleaned it up a little. It looks like it was a very nice quality piece at one time... I cant find a name on the barrel but I haven't taken it off yet... this ol'girl weighs about 12 Lbs.

There you go,... Any ideas guys ?

Thanks

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 05:53:12 AM by Harms Way »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Target ? Mountin Half stock with a Manton lock ?.... Help !
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 06:42:15 AM »
You have what looks to me like an east coast - perhaps Ohio or New York, maybe even Ontario made rifle.  I doubt that Joseph Manton made the lock.  A number of gunmakers in the percussion era used his name freely on locks.  I once saw a Belgian double twelve bore shotgun with matching locks bearing his name, but definitely way below the quality of a true Manton lock.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 01:04:15 PM »
You have what looks to me like an east coast - perhaps Ohio or New York, maybe even Ontario made rifle.  I doubt that Joseph Manton made the lock.  A number of gunmakers in the percussion era used his name freely on locks.  I once saw a Belgian double twelve bore shotgun with matching locks bearing his name, but definitely way below the quality of a true Manton lock.

I have also seen low quality locks with the Manton name.This one looks like a Goulcher which was NOT anywhere close to the quality the name represents.
Today is the 30th anniversary of the passing of barrel maker Bill Large who was a close friend to me and
much of what I do today is what I learned from Bill beginning in April of 1953.

Bob Roller

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:42:47 AM »
Hey Bob Roller,man has the years flown.I am priviledged to have known him,and called him friend,mostly "sir:"when talking,mostly listening to what he had to say.I am glad I was at an age where I knew enuff to keep my mouth shut and hear the mans wisdom.Visits to his shop were,and still are,my fondest memories of him.May he rest in peace,.God Bless his family.best regards,Dave Fortner,Charleston,WVa