Author Topic: Please help me identify this beauty found in a wall?!  (Read 3873 times)

Nickthenewguy

Please help me identify this beauty found in a wall?!
« on: September 26, 2015, 08:54:45 AM »
I am antique dealer in St Paul Mn and we get everything walking thru the door. Well today a woman  (older woman) said her father a full bird Colonel found this in a wall in his house when they lived down south.

There is a fair amount of wear but still functions, and in my eyes (by no means an expert) it looks to be in wonderful condition.
The plate under the cocking lever appears to read something "RIFLE WORKS" and under different light filters has scrolling scribed into it.
The barrel measures 31 inches, is octagonal and the bore is not rifled and measures 3/8 inches.
Please take note to the trigger as it is straight and is missing the ram rod.
Again by me not being an expert in this area I do not know what characteristics went with what company, so they all look the same to me...
Please help
The photos are on my shops Facebook page-
https://m.facebook.com/TheBeardedMermaid
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 08:55:32 AM by Nickthenewguy »

Offline T*O*F

Re: Please help me identify this beauty found in a wall?!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 02:47:32 PM »
The name of the gunmaker is that which is stamped on the barrel.  It appears to be F. Prickett.
The name on the lock represents the company who produced locks for sale to gunsmiths.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 03:33:59 PM »
Nice find.  I never have that kind of luck, finding a rifle in the wall.  Anyway, In AMERICAN GUNSMITHS, Frank Sellers lists a Fredrick Pricket in Richfield Ohio (1853d). Hope this helps.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 04:09:29 PM »
Nice find, there is not much more info on him in the Ohio books. How comes when I remove the covering off of old walls all I ever discover is mice dung & termite damage?

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles

Nickthenewguy

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 06:34:10 PM »
Thank for the info!

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 06:02:50 AM »
Very unusual straight trigger

Hammer doesn't have much pitting compared to the lock & drum

I imagine that distinctive patchbox should help place it