Author Topic: Where to sell antique gun collection  (Read 9477 times)

JCurtiss

Where to sell antique gun collection
« on: September 29, 2015, 01:24:40 AM »
Fist let me introduce myself. My name is Jason and I've recently ordered an A. Verner flintlock rifle kit that I'm looking forward to putting together.  I've purchased four books that were recommended on ALR in an effort to better understand the American long rifle.  I've certainly enjoyed the journey so far.

I apologize if I've posted this query in the wrong forum, but I have a number of antique guns that I would like to sell in one transaction and thought the folks here would best be able to help me.  The collection includes not only an American long rifle, but other types of black powder rifles and muskets plus several Colt pistols.  There are 15 guns in all. 

So my question is: do you know of a company, or person for that matter, that may be interested in buying such a collection of guns?   

Thank you and regards,

Jason

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: Where to sell antique gun collection
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 02:21:34 AM »
first off you should do your homework to figure out what you have.Your research could mean the difference between making some decent money for decent guns or being ripped off.Hopefully you have time on your side and don't have to take the first offer that comes down the pike.Being in the position to sit on them till the right offer presents itself is a great thing also.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 02:50:38 AM »
Many collectors elect to send such items to an auction house. Not a bad idea as it moves everything at once, and at competitive prices. The advice you received from Joe is good advice and whatever you do should be done from a position of knowledge and research on what you have and to whom you will entrust it for sale. Lots of sharks swim in the water. Best of luck!
Dick

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 02:52:29 AM »
Joe S. is correct . You need to have an idea what you have . You need to also know how much you have in the collection. If you sell to an individual they will want to make a profit on there investment. They might sell them the next day or have them for years.  That kills selling them at retail. If your Lucky enough to find a collector who wants them all , you might do a little better but that would be a challenge. At auction there's the twenty percent commission  plus other fees . Some times they can get you for another ten or fifteen percent.  Plus you don't know what they will bring.
Their are a lot of honorable people ( some who are on this forum ) who might buy them . However I suspect there are a good number more who would love to skin you.  Be careful ! Ask what others think of the folks that step up to buy. Go slow  if time permits, if it doesn't don't let any one  know.   JIM
JIM

Offline Molly

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 03:50:44 AM »
Reasonable place to start, but do your homework.  There are tons of resources available to help you determine value.  Use the opinion of others to confirm your own conclusions.  I would also suggest NOT selling everything in a single "lot".  You will likely realize a blended price lower than the sum of the individual values.  Sell to a dealer?  I have done that as well.  And I have come to hold the view that a dealer will expect to pay about half of what he expects to realize when selling.  I sold, and still sell, substandard quality to dealers just to move it.  Good quality firearms always bring more when sold to a hungry retail buyer.  And yes, be aware that while many will offer opinions of value not everyone who does actually knows of what they speak!

Post a few longrifle photos here and see where it goes.

Colts, etc. are more common and trade frequently. Coming to an estimate of value by following internet auction sites is pretty easy.  But follow the item to the point is is "SOLD".  Listing prices often start high and accordingly don't sell.  Peg your value on items that "SELL".

JCurtiss

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 01:49:49 PM »
Thank you for all the great advice. I especially like the idea of an auction.

I had Collectors Firearms do a limited appraisal via photographs, so I have somewhat of an idea of their worth.

I'll post a couple of pictures tonight.

Jason   

The Rambling Historian

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:45:53 PM »
Depending on exactly what you have an auction is likely the way to go. The big auction houses get a lot of attention from collectors around the country and even internationally. Only real downside I see is that getting something through an auction house can take more time than some other venues. Some are more picky about what they will take too such as James Julia's, but others will sell just about anything that meets their relatively vague criteria. Terms and percentages are different from auction house to auction house so be sure to compare those. The reputable ones will photograph your guns, write descriptions about them including their history, evaluate them (taking your input and reserve prices into account of course), advertise particularly fine weapons and their auctions in general, and publish their catalogs online and in print.

One thing that I have noticed is that contemporary pieces do not seem to sell as high at auction as they often due through here and places like Track of the Wolf.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 12:05:09 AM »
There is one thing you need to be aware of when selling at auction. Not only are there fees involved. that nasty tax thing could also rear it's ugly head!
JIM

Offline Molly

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 07:22:02 PM »
Good observation.  Most people probably get a surprise when really high dollar firearms (or anything else) change hands via an auction.  But then certainly NO ONE would fail to pay taxes if it were a private sale, would they!

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 07:47:49 PM »
Thank you for all the great advice.

I'll post a couple of pictures tonight.

Jason   
Waiting for pictures

jamesthomas

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 11:17:32 PM »
 Be aware that dealers will want to get at least double their money on a resale. Ie, if your rifle is worth 12,000 to you, you might just get around $600 to $800.00 from a dealer as he will want to sell it for a $1000 to $12,000. I would sell them individually if I could.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 12:02:59 AM »
james e, I think you either left a 0 out, or added one to some of your numbers, because what you said doesn't make much sense.
Also, the dealers I trust seem to use about a 20% markup. If someone is offering you 50% or less value for your gun, I'd laugh my butt off and look for someone else!

Also, Jason, I sent you a Personal Message.

John
John Robbins

Offline Molly

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 05:16:52 PM »
Don't you just hate it when that happens?  I get myself all primed to see some nice old stuff come out from under the bed and then the photos never appear.  Makes me wonder...why bother posting the thing in the first place!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 06:48:55 PM »
With all the auction sites on the net. Plus all the books out there on gun values. Do your homework. It's not to hard. Just time . Also if you do go through an auction house. Have a set minimum price that u will let the item go for. Otherwise u could get burned.

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 03:25:17 PM »
Don't you just hate it when that happens?  I get myself all primed to see some nice old stuff come out from under the bed and then the photos never appear.  Makes me wonder...why bother posting the thing in the first place!

What has it been  10 or 11 days since he promised pictures?

JCurtiss

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 01:26:51 AM »
Don't you just hate it when that happens?  I get myself all primed to see some nice old stuff come out from under the bed and then the photos never appear.  Makes me wonder...why bother posting the thing in the first place!

Here's a couple:

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:23:30 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Molly

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 04:04:08 AM »
Edited**

Gotta look at the other pistol a little more.

Edited**

As to the rifle and small flint pistol??

**Edited by Dennis, you all know the rules about sidelocks only and no modern guns are to be discussed on ALR. If you don't know the rules here is a link to them:
http://americanlongrifles.org/american-longrifles-privacy-policy-2.htm?action=recent **
Dennis
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:54:06 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 09:29:51 PM »
Not a pistol guy. But that there little flintlock pistol with the bayonet is cool. Imho

JCurtiss

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 03:10:00 AM »
Not a pistol guy. But that there little flintlock pistol with the bayonet is cool. Imho

The bayonet actually folds under the barrel and its tip is captured by the trigger guard. This is the stowed position.

So if you fire at the bad guy/girl, and miss, you get a second chance to kill the villain by stabbing him/her with the bayonet.  Simply pull back on the trigger guard and the spring-loaded bayonet flies out and locks in the extended position.

Indeed I think its pretty cool, too.