Author Topic: shoot a left handed gun right handed?  (Read 6604 times)

Offline bowkill

shoot a left handed gun right handed?
« on: September 29, 2015, 02:59:17 AM »
can you shoot a left handed gun right handed without putting your eyes out? anyone done it..
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline Michigan Flinter

Re: shoot a left handed gun right handed?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 03:17:59 AM »
 Yes    first of all it is best that you wear some eye protection . I've shot  flinters with the lock on the wrong side and never even see the flash in the pan .

jamesthomas

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 03:35:36 AM »
can you shoot a left handed gun right handed without putting your eyes out? anyone done it..

I'm a lefty and have shot my brothers right handed flinter, I had no problems with it.

Offline bowkill

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 03:47:19 AM »
I did not think about this but double barrel flint guns have the lock on both sides and have never heard of anyone harmed from them.  Zonie on another sight bought it to my attention..
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

C. Cash

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 04:03:52 AM »
According to nearly all mothers, no!   ;). Serious I was wondering about this myself as I lost sight in my right eye and had to turn lefty.  I eventually went with a left handed Lancaster simply because it felt better to have the hammer on the correct side for a quick shot.  Felt strange with the right hand versions to have to cross over the stock to cock it.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 04:55:09 AM »
Over the years I have taken two deer shooting left handed with a right handed flinter. The circumstances dictated such a shot or no shot so I made the short 15 yard shot both times. Lucky me yes but it didnt blind me.

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 01:59:12 AM »
I've seen it done plenty with no problems, but I wouldn't want to try it.

~Tony

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 02:27:23 AM »
I'm left handed and shot right handed ones with no problem.Cast off may feel abit strange if extreme. Was not a big deal after shooting a lot of com-bloc weapons who's optics end up off center of the bore and the left handed impaired have to adjust.

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 05:42:25 AM »
I have felt the prickly stinging burns on my left forearm while shooting my 12 guage double barrel caplock shotgun while wearing short sleeves.
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 04:53:08 PM »
I've shot  flinters with the lock on the wrong side and never even see the flash in the pan .

Maybe because your eyes were closed  ??? ::)

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 09:37:11 PM »
I've shot  flinters with the lock on the wrong side and never even see the flash in the pan .

Maybe because your eyes were closed  ??? ::)

Now That's funny!
John
John Robbins

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 11:55:25 PM »

We have a station on the trail where everyone must shoot kack-handed - ie: from the weak shoulder. That means lefties shoot right handed and righties shoot left handed. Since most of us are shooting flinters, most of the time, some all the time, well, you get the drift.  No problems except with hitting the dang plate - for some.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 08:26:49 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 06:04:51 AM »
We used to have what we called a trade gun shoot, every one lined up on the firing line and traded guns with the person to the right or left of himself. Sometimes you got a off handed shooters gun and it made for an interesting match.

Steve-In

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 04:39:22 PM »
I do it all the time but it is with a right handed shot left handed.  Called a double barrel.  I have shot my guns right handed in matches where required.  I have shot both right hand flints and percussion with no issues.  I wear glasses and always have them on.  I would rather shoot a right flintlock than percussion.  With some caplocks I have had some spray on my right forearm but no big deal.
The majority of the flash and debris from a flintlock goes straight out from the touchole in my experience.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 06:00:09 PM »
 I thought that the fire from a flintlock pan went primarily out the side as well, until I helped support the heavy barrel of a longrifle for a young shooter shooting his first shot. I supported the barrel well forward of the lock area. I now have a life long reminder of the event in the form of some tattooed freckle in my forearm. I was shocked that so much fire was able to escape between the frizzen and the pan, and how far forward it traveled.

Hungry Horse

Offline EC121

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »
Sqrldog and I were shooting his rifle and I held up two heavy paper 100yd. big bull targets to shield some other shooters on the line.  At 4-5ft. from the touch hole the powder particles went through the two layers of the paper and stung me on the arm and forehead.   No harm done, but a lesson learned that day!!!
Brice Stultz

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 06:15:40 AM »
First time I went to a blackpowder shoot. I had a percussion an the guy to my right was shooting a lefty. He said fire in the hole. Being a newly. Had no idea. Fifty years latter. Still remember that. Hooked me on flintlocks right then an there. An my nose still has that little burn dot! Lol