Author Topic: just traded for this..  (Read 4721 times)

Offline bowkill

just traded for this..
« on: September 29, 2015, 03:56:46 AM »
Just got in a trade and would love to know who built it. It is 50 cal left handed [which i am right handed and will shoot it anyway] and has nice carving and engraving. Has the initials RQ on the thumb rest with a 42 inch barrel.  the guy said it had douglas wrote on the bottom of the barrel. May pull it and see what else is there. The craftsmanship is great. Will get some better outside pictures later.

μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Re: just traded for this..
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 09:48:21 PM »
Beautiful!   
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 12:08:48 AM »
Looks good from here
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 04:50:44 AM »
Pretty nice work on the carving. The initials on the thumbpiece inlay usually indicates the initials of the first owner of the rifle. Its likely this rifle was made by the maker for himself. If he had made it for a customer, the maker's name and/or initials would be on the top or left of top flat of the barrel. Being in the business of crafting rifles, he would have either stamped or engraved his name as the maker.

A muzzleloading firearm, rifle, fowler, or pistol with the maker's name affixed becomes his "business card". He would want to sign his work. Occasionally, the maker might sign his name on the bottom of the barrel, especially if the customer were furnishing the parts instead of the maker.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina