Author Topic: E. K. Purdy of Schoolcraft Michigan  (Read 5518 times)

The Rambling Historian

E. K. Purdy of Schoolcraft Michigan
« on: October 01, 2015, 12:17:19 AM »
I just finished working on an over/under combination gun by the above maker and thought I would share the information here in case someone else comes along looking for info on this maker. The weapon is not a long rifle but certainly would have been influenced by this form. If this is not the appropriate location I apologize. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures to share.

"E. K. Purdy" is listed in a few 19th century sources including "History of Kalamazoo County" (1880) and the "Kalamazoo County Directory . . . 1869 and 1870" Both Edgar K. (b.1816) and Elijah K. Purdy (b.1843) are listed as gunsmiths in the latter work and both show up on the area's 1850 census. Erastus Purdy (b.1826) also appears on the census as a gunsmith and may have been Elijah's younger brother as they both were born in New York. Frank Seller's mentions E. K. Purdy briefly in one of his older articles and states that he is one of several Rochester County, New York, gunsmiths who moved west to Michigan. At least two multi-barrel combination guns have been found with E.K. Purdy markings. Incidentally, Schoolcraft was first settled in 1828 and nearby Cooper's Island was the setting for James Fenimore Cooper's 1848 frontier novel "The Oak Openings."

Offline JCKelly

Re: E. K. Purdy of Schoolcraft Michigan
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 03:02:31 AM »
I would truly love to have digital photos of that rifle, to include in the 4th edition of Michigan Gunsmiths from the 18th through the early 20th Centuries  (if I live long enough)
To date I have no photos of any Purdy rifle.

To date, here is what I have on E K Purdy:

Purdy, Elijah K.,  Village of Schoolcraft   1850, 1860 &1870 census
Kalamazoo County. O/U, .47 cal rifle and 10 gage shotgun, 32 ¼” barrels. German silver blade front, rear sight adjustable for elevation. Back action side locks, left hammer has “elephant trunk” nose to reach shotgun nipple. Brass trigger guard with finger rest, two steel triggers. Brass butt plate with iron rivet to brass toe plate. Walnut stock. Barrel marked EK PURDY SCHOOLCRAFT MICH34. From the photo of his shop, it looks like Mr. Purdy dealt in a variety of sporting items.

In 1850 the census showed Elijah K. Purdy, 34, Gun Smith, and his wife Abiah 35, both born in New York. Their children were Edgar 7 and Gertrude, 6 months, both born in Michigan. His real estate valued at $1000. Another member of the household was Erastus Purdy, also a gunsmith, born in New York, $300 worth of real estate.

By the 1860 census for Kalamazoo County  Elijah K. Purdy was 44, Gunsmith and his wife Abiah 45—except now they are both listed as born in Ohio, not New York. As happened to many families at that time they appear to have lost Gertrude. Now there are two children Edgar K., 16 and Ella, 4, both born in Michigan. In the 1870 census E.K. Purdy, age 53 was still a gun smith, Real Estate value $3000, personal $1000. His wife Abiah is now listed differently, as Adalin age 44. Both are noted as born in New York, so it seems the 1860 census was incorrect about Ohio being his birthplace. By 1880 there is no more listing in Michigan for Elijah. His son,  Edgar K. Purdy, age 36, is a painter Painter living with his mother, her name now spelled "Abihal", age 63, in the Village of Schoolcraft.. Both Edgar's parents were born in New York. I also have a photo of his gunshop, courtesy E.L. Schuck, Michigan. Would prefer not to go through the detail of putting it on tinypic.com, if its OK with y'all.

JMUPT

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 03:20:39 AM »
There is a local auction that is selling a E.K. Purdy of Schoolcraft Michigan rotating three barrel percussion rifle w/ silver patch box and lightly engraved breech.  Anyone have any idea of the value of the firearm?  I'm not very familier with the maker or percussion rifles in general.  Seems like a unique piece.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 08:38:48 AM »
Jim, Rock Island Auction recently sold a nice superposed Purdy and had good photos in its auction catalog. You can see it at http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/66/lid/139  The auction house has been good in the past with sharing photos of their guns. If you contact them and mention your need, I'd bet they would let you use the pictures. Shelby Gallien

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 06:16:14 PM »
Thanks, T-man.They have already told me I can use their photos, so long as I recognize RIA as the source.

Rambling H  I have yet to look up Edgar and Erastus, belated thanks for your information. I'm still working s-l-o-w-y on the 4th edition. Little detour for Royland Southgate

Offline rlm

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 03:08:34 AM »
I've seen loads of "purdy" rifles on this forum. That's why I check it out almost every day.   :-)