Author Topic: Philip Gillespie  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Philip Gillespie
« on: October 02, 2015, 03:14:43 AM »
 This guy march to the beat of his own drum much like Schreckengost    Quite a unique rifle on the blog   I like them like that
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline PPatch

Re: Philip Gillespie
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 03:22:23 AM »
I saw that on the blog this morning, was wondering if it was owned by our Dennis. Dennis had one of Philip's rifles at the show in Clinton, TN a couple of years ago but I don't believe it was the same one. Had the same designs. Unique is correct, pointed and handled well though.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Online gibster

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 04:02:56 AM »
That rifle is also in the museum on this forum.  Here is a link to one I picked up at the Princeton Ill show.  I posted the info after I got home.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=36725.0

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 04:37:36 AM »
The rifle photos made for a fantastic and unique blog post. A privilege to have it shared with us this morning.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 04:54:55 PM »
I saw that on the blog this morning, was wondering if it was owned by our Dennis. Dennis had one of Philip's rifles at the show in Clinton, TN a couple of years ago but I don't believe it was the same one. Had the same designs. Unique is correct, pointed and handled well though.

dave
Dave,
The rifle on the blog is my Philip Gillespie, the same one that was at the Clinton TN show. Jan photographed it at that show.

I had no idea that the Gillespie's had used any back action locks but Jerry Noble had one made by Mathew, its in either the first or second vol of his books. It's a plain Jane mountain rifle with great lines, for a back action lock. Then I run across this one and then Gipster finds his this summer. Never know what will turn up out of those western NC mountains.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 06:57:00 PM »
 Dennis i'm intrigued by the clever way this gunsmith cured the problem of back action locks hammering the stock until they break at the wrist.
 Are all those horse shoe shaped marks stamped, or engraved. Either way, it had to take up some serious time, getting them so precisely placed. I love this gun.

Hungry Horse

Offline cable

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 08:14:21 PM »
Dennis i'm intrigued by the clever way this gunsmith cured the problem of back action locks hammering the stock until they break at the wrist.
 Are all those horse shoe shaped marks stamped, or engraved. Either way, it had to take up some serious time, getting them so precisely placed. I love this gun.

Hungry Horse

ME TOO!   amazing find !

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »
horse shoe shaped marks stamped, or engraved

They are stampings, all the Gillespie's seemed to have a love for stampings. Those little pine tree or fern looking designs you see on their barrels are also stamps. The only engraving I have seen is the wig-wag engraving that Philip often put on the trigger guards. He sometimes went wild with them and completely surrounded the trigger guard with them.
Dennis
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:17:45 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »
Oh, meant to mention this, I found a lady in western NC that had a restocked (badly) Harvey Gillespie (it was signed and dated on the barrel). The rear thimble had some of those stampings on them but right in the bottom (if shouldered) of the thimble were his initials stamped dead center. I have never seen that done by him or any other maker. It was well done. I don't have photos, didn't have my camera with me. The rest of the gun was pretty plain and only the hardware and cut off barrel were original.
Dennis