Author Topic: G Krug? Correction on maker and location  (Read 3408 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
G Krug? Correction on maker and location
« on: October 04, 2015, 02:12:45 AM »
Anybody heard of a Skrug or a G Krug in Mt. Carmel, IL

I saw a half stock at the Birmingham Gun Collectors Show today by this maker. Decent half stock, nothing special, cleaned and refinished but all there 1850's or 60's gun. Just curious as I have never heard of this maker.

In William Reynolds - Ohio/Illinois Gunsmiths he has a "Gotlieb Krug - Mt. Carmel, Wabash Co. - worked there 1860 - 1870 and is listed in both census but with great conflict in vital statistics, worked previously in IND. and Ohio (see Lindert's book). I have one rifle by this one stamped G. Krug Mt. Carmel ILL. Have heard of one stamped G. Krug Vincinnes."

When I first looked at this little half stock I had no magnification but got a better look at it on day 2 of the show. It is neatly stamped G. Krug Mt. Carmel ILL on the barrel.

Sorry if I caused any confusion. I did pick the rifle up but I am not really interested in keeping it. If any of you guys collect ILL rifles drop me a PM, it was reasonalble.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:28:47 PM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: S Krug?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 03:33:42 AM »
 I have some questions. Is the gun in question walnut stocked, half stocked, with a hardware store type percussion lock, held in with a single lock bolt,with no cap box, cheek piece, or under rib. Does the triggerguard with a finger spur at the rear of the bow,and buttplate, have a reddish copper look to it.
 A guy I know with a small collection, has such a gun marked on the barrel in script Klug. I'm wondering if these are the same smith. The signature is lightly engraved, and not in great shape, so maybe it's Krug.

Hungry Horse

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: S Krug?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »
This gun is stocked in a nice piece of maple and has a good pewter nose cap. It is a late gun as I said probably 1850's or 60's. The lock and hardware are pretty common looking and the guard does have a finger spur if I remember correctly. I don't recall the butt plate having a redish look. I will try to take a few pictures today and post them.

I found Krug's as gunsmiths in IL and OH around this same time period. With a name like Krug they are bound to be related.
Jim Parker

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Re: G Krug? Correction on maker and location
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 04:30:32 PM »
Update on this rifle.
Jim Parker