Author Topic: Southern Squirrel Rifle help  (Read 10500 times)

Banjo Joe

Southern Squirrel Rifle help
« on: October 06, 2015, 10:39:09 PM »
Hello,   I am new to this forum but not new to muzzleloading. I am however, in search of a new squirrel rifle/Tennessee Southern Poor boy style.  Probably looking at .36 cal.  Does anybody have any ideas who sells or makes a good one?  How about any pros and cons of caliber sizes too.  I have .54 cal , .50 cal and .45 cal rifles but this will be my first at a smaller size.  Some pictures of Your rifles would help me too in choosing a style if I should get a kit.    Thanks !!

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Southern Squirrel Rifle help
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 02:27:14 AM »
Not so much about who makes them, but here's a link about the subject in general that has been going on for some time.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=9725.0

Also several other threads on caliber in the Black Powder section as well. Here's a link to one, http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34674.0

John
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:48:47 AM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:35:51 PM »
Just about all makers can build these. I did this one with a 48" swamped barrel in .25 cal. Shoots well.
http://www.fowlingguns.com/rifle5.html
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sz

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 04:50:03 PM »
Bajo, there are many good builders in the USA and many of them read and post on this site.  However when I click on your bio I see there is no way to contact you.

If all the builders on this site were to post all the pictures of all the guns they have made in small calibers this would be the longest thread on the forum.

So you might start by allowing a prospective builder to contact you instead of trying to "contact the whole world"

I hope you can see my point.
:)

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 07:52:52 PM »
There's a thread 12 pages long on the Blackpowder shooting section of the forum that has lots of pictures posted of some very nice squirrel rifles.
Jerry

Offline cable

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:53:51 PM »
Just about all makers can build these. I did this one with a 48" swamped barrel in .25 cal. Shoots well.
http://www.fowlingguns.com/rifle5.html

wow!  Mike that is really exceptional!

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 09:04:14 PM »
Mr. Brooks that rifle is gorgeous! .25 cal.? Wow! Wish I had one. Is that a Rayl barrel? or did you wittle it out yourself? Hey Banjo, Now you have your hands full of options. But if you don't like Mike Brook's rifle, Joe Schell's,  Bama's' nothing will make you happy. There are some truly talented people on this site who are more than happy to answer questions and help in any way. It's all about what you want, and to a degree, can afford. I could make you one, but I'd say talk to Jim Chambers first.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:13:59 PM by Squirrel pizza »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 01:58:42 AM »
Tip Curtis as well as our own Mike Brooks get excellent reviews on their guns.  You can check the posted adds on the various forums for excellent used guns.  TVM(uzzleloading) can build you a custom, as well.  There are so many others who do fine work, you shouldn't have a problem getting one that fits you.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 04:08:04 AM »
If I were to only hunt squirrel's and small game with the gun I would go with a 32 but alot of people shoot more targets and matches with their squirrel guns in more open areas where the wind can play tricks on a 32 pretty easy. Then I would go with a 40 as a 40 cal. still qualifies as a squirrel gun in most areas and does have some advantage over a 32 in some situations. IMHO

J Hollis

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 05:19:37 AM »
This also happens to be my favorite style of rifle.  If I were to do a few things over again I would take my time and really explore the builders on this forum.  I have purchased semi custom guns that are fine but are just missing that extra something.  For one thing they don't really represent a specific "school" of gun. They just get close. I guess the draw was the finished gun was just a little cheaper.  For me, now, quality means more.  As for caliber I like a .40 - but Who needs just one rifle?

Offline EC121

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 06:03:26 AM »
I  have a .40 I'm going to sell, because I'm getting another .40.   It is on my blog.  www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com  A bit large for a squirrel rifle, but a .40 will work for squirrels.  Also legal in my state for deer.
Brice Stultz

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 01:53:28 AM »
I  have a .40 I'm going to sell, because I'm getting another .40.   It is on my blog.  www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com  A bit large for a squirrel rifle, but a .40 will work for squirrels.  Also legal in my state for deer.

Very nice blog, love that .30!!

~Tony

Banjo Joe

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 07:24:52 AM »
Hello EC121,   I checked out the .40 cal on Your blog and that is a beautiful muzzleloader.    What might ya be askin' on it ??

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 03:58:40 AM »
Nice rifle Mike! Excell workmanship.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 02:30:15 PM »
You can also go real poor boy style and skip most of the hardware and still be historically correct. Saves you a bunch of money in parts and labor.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Gunmaker/library/338%20deep%20river%20poor%20boy?sort=3&page=1
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline EC121

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 03:16:45 PM »
Banjo Joe:  I'll sell it for $900 and shipping.
Brice Stultz