Author Topic: Bridger Hawken Getting Ready for an Elk Hunt  (Read 14786 times)

Offline Herb

Bridger Hawken Getting Ready for an Elk Hunt
« on: October 09, 2015, 06:02:38 AM »
I have an antlerless elk hunt the end of the month and will use my .54 Bridger Hawken.  Checked the zero and loads yesterday and today, shooting at 100 yards from rest, using a salvaged target from my range. Yesterday I shot 80 grains of Goex 2F, shots 1,2 and 3 circled.  Today I used 80 grains of Goex 3F, being low on 2F.  Shots X, 4 5 and 6.  This with a JoAnn linen which mikes .018 with a micrometer ratchet, and .530 Hornady balls. This loads too hard for hunting if a quick reload was to be made.

Ran out of Hornady and then used .530 Speer balls with  100 grains of Olde Eynsford 1 1/2F and .015 (ratchet reading) linen.  Loaded easier.  This for shots 7 and 8, and I may have two balls through No.8 hole, but I can't remember.  This is my same Bridger that I used to cut strings at 100 yards from rest.

The group is about 3.5 inches high, my rifle having a low front sight like Jim Bridger's rifle.  At about 1700 fps, this is a 130 yard zero.   I shot at a target at 150 yards and hit 3 inches out at three o'clock.  Got distracted by another shooter and had to quit then.  For my hunt I will use .526 balls and the thick linen.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:41:57 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline heelerau

Re: Bridger Hawken Getting Ready for an Elk Hunt
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 12:12:02 PM »
Herb good luck with the elk, looks like your riflegun is grouping fine.  Best I can get are bugs bunny in the garden !!

cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

nosrettap1958

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 03:11:26 PM »
Your rifle seems to like either the GOEx 3Fg or that Olde Enysford powder. But why the switch to the 526 ball and patch combination for the hunt? It seems like it groups pretty tight with the 530 ball/patch combination.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 03:27:41 PM by crawdad »

Offline Herb

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 04:55:12 PM »
For ease of loading.  I had to pound the short starter with my hand to seat the .018 linen-patched balls.  If I have to load a second shot fast, I want an easy loading ball.  And to hit an elk in the heart-lung area at 100 yards, I only need pizza-box accuracy.  The 2F loads were shot in a wind, don't know why one dropped.  Couldn't have been my eyesight on that cloudy day!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:57:37 PM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 01:12:47 AM »
Herb, Looks like you have her dialed in pretty good. Enjoy your hunt and I hope you are successful.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 02:39:28 AM »
Herb, can you load the first shot at home with the tight combo then bring the easy loading ball/patch combo along for a second shot if you need it?

nosrettap1958

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 04:33:28 AM »
That group looks to me a lot tighter than pizza box sized. Good luck Herb and let us know how it goes!!!

Offline Herb

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 05:47:57 AM »
Yes, Smylee, I could load the thicker patch and then reload with a thinner patch.  But I have shot the .526 balls and they will group very well.  Thanks again for the patching you sent me a couple years ago.
Herb

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 05:52:57 AM »
I have more of that stuff Herb if you want some. By the way, I might go to an informal shoot out at the old range in Cooperstown this Sunday. Will be thinking of you out elk hunting if I go. Good luck on the hunt.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 12:35:07 AM »
Good luck Herb,happy hunting and hope you fill your tag

Offline Herb

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 02:06:59 AM »
So I went to my range today to shoot Olde Eynsford 2F, .526 balls and my chosen patches.  But I forgot them in my possible bag at home and had to shoot other combinations.  At 100 yards from rest, with a 3 O'clock wind, I shot 100 gains of Goex 2F.  Except I had my Goex 3F measure, which holds 103 grains of Goex 2F.  Used .015 linen (ratchet reading on micrometer).  Seated harder than I like.   Shots 1, 2 and 3, high but I wasn't holding the forend down on the bags.  A cleaning patch on the seater jag.  1651 fps, 35 spread.  Then I went to Olde Eynsford 2F, using the same measure, which held 103 grains of OE 2F.  1809 fps, 48 spread, and higher impact.

I wiped the bore and shot the 103 grains of O.E.2F with .018 (ratchet) old pillow ticking at 150 yards.  Just aimed in the center of the cardboard.  1788 fps average, group impacted left with the breeze, 2.5 inch group.  I'll have to go back again to shoot the combo I want- if I can remember it!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:48:09 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline PPatch

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 03:27:23 AM »
Bag a big one Herb and have loads of fun. Good shooting by the way.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

nosrettap1958

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 03:29:38 AM »
That is a nice tight group over that distance.  Herb what are the particulars of your rifle or have you already posted before on that?

Offline Herb

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 06:23:11 AM »
Yes, there are a lot of posts.  Go to SEARCH.  Enter Jim Bridger Hawken- My Copy  by Herb.  No other entries.  Hit Search.  This will come up, along with Jim Bridger Hawken in Helena Museum posted 9-22-2013.  I got the barrel from a former GRRW employee.  It is 1 1/8" straight and 31 inches long.  GRRW had the Bridger rifle in their shop for a couple of years when they made the Bridger Commemorative rifles.  I handled it there in 1978.  The Production Manager made a tracing of it on brown wrapping paper with dimensions and comments on construction.  He took a roll of black and white film, 23  pictures of details.  I closely examined and photographed all these.  My friend Dave Boender made a good 8 x 10 color photo of the lock side, full length and the lock area.  I copied those in black and white and enlarged the buttstock and lock to life size.  My barrel is two inches shorter than the Bridger rifle, but otherwise is the most accurate copy of that rifle ever made, according to the way it looks now.  I also discussed the rifle with Doc White (owner of GRRW) and five or six GRRW employees, who told me things about it that only they, who disassembled it, know.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:48:58 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Herb

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 12:49:11 AM »
Went out and shot my hunting load.  100 grains of Olde Enynsford 2F, .013 linen patch and .526 ball.  At 100 yards, the group is 1.8 inches, which is probably the limit of my ability to hold a fine, consistent aim.  Velocity 1749.  Cleaning patch on seating jag, no other cleaning.

Next I shot at 150 yards, three of the .526 balls, leaving 8 for my hunt.  I held center and there was a left wind for two shots, saw the dust roll off.  Next I went to .530 balls, and they loaded OK.  Little difference in velocity, except the first patch holed and I spilled the powder loading the fifth shot.

If I get the time and find a day with no breeze, I could try string-cutting at 150 yards.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:50:32 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline ScottH

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 02:42:36 AM »
Herb
 How was the elk hunting?
ScottH

Offline Herb

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 08:01:12 PM »
I'll have a report soon.
Herb

Offline Herb

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2015, 02:52:18 AM »
My hunt area was South Slope-Vernal-Bonanza.  My friend Bill had this same hunt earlier and killed a cow elk from his tree stand.  He took me up there Monday, October 26, at 8700 feet elevation.

On Wednesday I drove the 15 miles in my Park Avenue Buick.  Bob followed in his pickup to see where I would hunt in case I phoned him for help should I kill an elk.  My daughter Linda walked in with me.  She has a cell phone, I do not.  I was in the tree stand at daylight, 12 feet above ground, for two hours.  Then I came down and we hunted through the woods until 2 pm.  Not a good way to hunt elk, but we enjoyed the day.

Next day Bob drove me into the forest.  We climbed up a steep hillside, a nightmare of downed timber for about 300 yards, to get to a ridge he knew about.  Stalked along that for an hour or so, no elk.  It began to rain lightly, so I was OK with driving around.  Friday and Saturday I recovered.  Sunday I went to a .22 shoot and came in sixth in the 50-shot trail walk.  Got home about 2:30pm and drove up to my hunt area.  Was on the stand till 5:10 pm, then stalked out through some regrowth.  Saw an elk about 50 feet away, the legs and body but not the head, so no shot there.  Got to my car at 6:00 pm, home 30 minutes later.

Monday I drove up again and walked in about half a mile to a crossing.  No elk.  Had to come home at noon and play guitar at the Care Center.  Tuesday I took my wife and Linda to the Election Day Dinner and played guitar at the Beehive home.  Wednesday it was raining when Bob picked me up, snow on the mountain.  He wanted to drive roads, and we saw about a dozen elk a half mile away, headed east.  He dropped me off to walk in and find them, but they were gone.  Tracked them bout a half mile into a steep canyon and gave up on them.

I wanted back at the area I knew, and when we got there a Quad (?) was driving out with three guys in it and a calf elk.  They said three or four elk ran north, into my hunt area.  Bob unloaded the ATV and gave me my first ride on such a thing.  We circled my area, found no tracks out but those going in.  I dropped off to walk east the quarter mile where he was to go and wait.  Found three elk beds in the snow, tracked them to the trail.  They crossed where I expected they would but kept going east.  I followed the tracks to the main road, then gave up on them.  We called it a hunt.

I have hunted elk in Oregon, Idaho, Colorado and Utah and know a lot about looking for them, little about finding them and less about shooting them, having killed only two spike bulls.  But I had a good hunt.  Walked about seven miles .  (Google Earth has a ruler where you can measure distances on the ground, or trace a path that tells you how far you travel).  That Hawken rifle is heavy, 10 3/4 pounds, and hard to hold with wool gloves.  I don't think I could have held it to shoot seated in that tree stand, so I propped a pole up against it that I could have rested the rifle against.

I pulled one ball after a couple days hunt and had to dig the packed powder out.  Won't do that again.  After hunting in the snow the last day, the rifle fired normally on the way home.  I won't hunt elk again, too unrewarding.  I hope to draw an antelope tag next year.

We knew of only two calves killed, both by people in ATVs.  The success rate for this ML hunt last year was 27.8 percent for an average of 5.2 days hunted.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:53:00 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline ScottH

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 11:10:15 PM »
Thanks for the report. Sounds like you gave it a good effort.
Wish I lived closer, I'd like to have been able to come help out!

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2015, 01:19:10 AM »
Herb sorry you didn't fill your tag.A day afield still beats sitting around the house or going to work.Someday I hope to get out to that part of the country to hunt before I'm to old to do the walking.Better luck next time Herb.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 07:02:37 AM »
Herb, thank you for your great report.  We all learn from such detailed reports.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 07:06:09 AM by crawdad »

Offline Herb

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 07:08:25 PM »
Thanks for the comments, folks.  That Google Earth is fantastic.  If you don't have it, it is a free download.  The photography of this area is of June, 2015.  Those measuring rulers are really something.  Accurate, too.  I have measured my shooting range with a tape, and a borrowed laser range finder, and Google does the same thing in an instant.  You can print out the picture, too.
Herb

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 12:40:09 AM »
Herb, you gave it a good try and that can be a reward in itself.  I'm impressed with the accuracy of your rifle and your amazing shooting skills.  Maybe we'll next be told about you scoring on a nice pronghorn.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 06:03:11 AM »
Thanks for the comments, folks.  That Google Earth is fantastic.  If you don't have it, it is a free download.  The photography of this area is of June, 2015.  Those measuring rulers are really something.  Accurate, too.  I have measured my shooting range with a tape, and a borrowed laser range finder, and Google does the same thing in an instant.  You can print out the picture, too.

That's too bad, Herb - would have been better with some snow, maybe & colder.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline PPatch

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 06:20:55 AM »
I've read your shooting and hunting report with interest Herb, sounds like you did all you could to locate elk. When we hunt we don't always find, my good wishes for the pronghorn hunting.

dave
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:22:04 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?