Author Topic: Souvenir Jaeger  (Read 4724 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Souvenir Jaeger
« on: October 09, 2015, 09:18:04 PM »
 Went to lunch with some folks from Church and we were asked to introduce ourselves, as I finished the Preachers Wife commented that I also built Powder Horns and muzzle loading guns, they have been to the house and seen a few. Anyway a week later one of the guys, Jack, told me he had an old gun that used to hang on the wall at his Uncles place in W. Va. don’t recall where. So yesterday he brought this to me. Seems as though his Uncle brought it back as a WW II war souvenir. Story goes that he cut the stock so it would fit in his Duffle Bag! Jack brought it to me in a box that it has been in for many years.
 I know little of nothing about Jaegers and was hoping someone may have some ideas. I thought the cap cover to be unusual, do you think it was converted from flint? What looks like the remnants of a pan and the Frizzen spring makes me think so but like I said I know little of them. Engraved on the plate it looks like “Pistor” below that maybe “John” and something else I can’t make out.
The barrel is 27 9/16 long, 1.20 at the Breach, tapering to .91 15” from the Breach and 1” at the muzzle, it is about .62 Cal. It has three stamp marks on it, one on the bottom flat and two on the flat just Left of the Breach Plug, I cannot make them out. Overall length of the gun is 42 11/16”. There is a place for a sling swivel about 3 3/8” from the muzzle and hole behind the Trigger Guard (that I think is bent inward) where there was a sling button. Looks like it only had the one Thimble, not sure what that little extension on it is, the Nose Cap is Horn, the rear sight has a tip up leaf, the front looks like it is Brass.
Behind the Side Plate are the letters “GR” or “CR” little hard to read. On the tab portion of the Butt Plate the number “355” is engraved. The Patch box lid is unfortunately missing. The Set Triggers are, what I would call almost delicate, they do not work. There is a small stamp on the Bow of the trigger guard, the BP just in front of the tab screw and in the center of the Side Plate. Unfortunately I cannot make them out but they look to be all the same. The upper part of the Cheek Piece  looks scalloped out, not sure if that was part of the build or done later, almost looks like a burn.
 There may be a couple of doubles.
 Any ideas?

Thanks, Tim C.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:59:29 PM by Tim Crosby »

The Rambling Historian

Re: Souvenir Jaeger
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 10:32:27 PM »
It is "Pistor & Sohn." The latter is German for son (go figure  ::) ) I'd say it is a conversion for sure and likely originally built in the late 18th to early 19th century. If my memory serves me well in regards to looking into a similarly marked German gun before, there are an array of German gunmakers with "Pistor"for a surname in that period so it will probably be hard to narrow it down.

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 09:02:16 PM »
That thing has a "cap holder" for lack of a better term.  Caps didn't always fit onto the nipple "back in the day" like they do now.  So some of the early percussion guns sported a cap holder to hold the cap in place.  The hammer struck the cap holder and set off the cap.  You could even use a paper cap.  Might have been made that way, might be a conversion.  I have seen this on a couple of other guns.  Rare, but I do not think any more valuable.
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »
What you have is the for runner off the percussion cap the device is to hold a steel top hat type of cap on the nipple.The first of these was built by James Rowntree  a gunmaker from a Co Durham Town of Barnard Castle, England  for Joshua Shaw the inventor of the percussion cap.
Feltwad

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »
 Thank you all for the information. I will pass it on to the owner, I'm sure he will be happy to learn something about it.
 The wrist has a couple of large cracks in it, I will stabilize them, put in a couple of barrel pins and give it back.

Tim C.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »
Tim,
The info you got is right on. I picked one up a few years ago that was similarly converted but did not have the cap holder. Mine was also cut ,as your picture shows, to fit into a duffel bag for the trip home.
Mark
Mark

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:50:19 PM »
Tim,

How long is the barrel on that rifle?

Mark
Mark Thomas

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII