Author Topic: Contemporary riflebuilders  (Read 8136 times)

Hobie Dog

Contemporary riflebuilders
« on: October 10, 2015, 02:08:07 PM »
I am new to this site but I am sure I can get some great info here. I am interested in references for contemporary riflebuilders where I can replicas of some rifles in my collection. I am specifically looking for someone who builds John Noll and/or Jacob Kuntz replicas .
Thanks in advance.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Contemporary riflebuilders
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 02:37:45 PM »
All of the capable builders will have a long wait. Right off the top of my head I'd go with Allen Martin for Kuntz rifles. There are some other excellent builders out there as well.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 04:00:06 PM »
 I'd go to Eric Kettenburg.  You can view some of his past work on his website.

Offline sz

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 04:17:17 PM »
Such work is not more difficult than any other work, but it is often more time consuming because the parts often have to be hand, made or at least modified from available parts. 

In doing documentary recreation and restoration for museums I have learned to do about anything that can be asked for, at one time or another.  From making locks 100% from bar stock, to making old cut-down barrels "grow back" and so on.  Even making odd screws with weird threads is on the menu.  Most men that want a "copy" of an old gun to hunt with and shoot do not care about rifling geometry and screw threads and so on.  What they want is one that looks about identical on the outside.  Museums and high-end collectors want the inside to be identical to the old ones.  In other words, if the old gun has a screw that is made with 29 threads per inch I can make such a screw, and the museum may want it made that way, but the hunter will be 100% happy with a modern 32 Tread Per Inch screw.  One costs 6 cents and the other will cost about $50 (because I have to make the tools to make the screw and then make the screw.)

If I have a gun to copy or access to such a gun I can make about anything that is asked for.  I believe most other good builders can do the same.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 04:42:09 PM »
I'd go to Eric Kettenburg.  You can view some of his past work on his website.
Yeah, Eric is cool too. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 04:42:20 AM »
Bill Shipman comes to mind for a John Noll.  He does great Golden Age rifles.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Joey R

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 05:29:55 AM »
Look at the John Noll rifle on the Liberty Longrifles site by Marvin Kemper.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 08:50:13 PM »
I could go on and on with endorsements.  The thing is to look at people's work and see what appeals to you.  There are a lot of great builders of accurate re-creations of specific PA makers work who have not been mentioned yet and who contribute to this site in addition to Mike who has chimed in.  You would do well to look at Ed Wenger, Eric Von Aschewge and Mitch Yates.  In Canada, Taylor Sapergia comes to mind.  Not sure how much custom work he is taking on but Tom Caster also does very fine re-creations of PA makers work.  Jim Kibler is able to work in any school and stun.  Probably just depends on what would excite him, as I see him working across a wide range, perhaps wider than any other.

Some seem to specialize more than others.  I'd likely go to Mr. Caster for a Beck, Eric V A  or Allen Martin for a classy Lehigh, Eric Kettenberg or Mike Brooks for a folksy aged rifle, Ed, Mitch, or Taylor in addition to Bill Shipman who I mentioned above for a full on, well engraved and carved Golden Age piece.

The makers already suggested as well as Mark Wheland are excellent choices of course.  I Rudy believe we are in a new Golden Age of the longrifle, as far as talent and in depth knowledge of originals are concerned.
Andover, Vermont

Offline t.caster

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 10:19:24 PM »
Many thanks to Rich Pierce for putting my name in with such current legends of the trade! All would do a great job I know.
Most of my work has been by custom order, but since retiring last Nov. I am finally caught up, and now building on speculation. I would love to see pics of what you have (so would others) to emulate.

Thanks,
Tom C.
Tom C.