Author Topic: Virginia versus Pennsylvania Rifles  (Read 4147 times)

Ray-Vigo

Virginia versus Pennsylvania Rifles
« on: October 11, 2015, 05:15:42 AM »
I an thinking about getting another rifle in the next year or so. I have a Lancaster style rifle in .50, which is a nice shooting gun. I've heard people talk about Virginia rifles, and I think it would be interesting to have both. What are the characteristics that separate a Virginia from a Pennsylvania rifle?

Offline Molly

Re: Virginia versus Pennsylvania Rifles
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 02:34:36 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing what the experts have to say about this.  It seems to me that the natural migration of builders who arrived in and began building in PA was south down the "great road", through the Shenandoah Valley and onward to points generally south and west.  So it similarly seems natural that early on, VA rifles carried a lot of PA rifle characteristics. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 04:40:28 PM »
Basically, VA rifles were made in VA and PA rifles were made in PA. Many many many variations in both depending on what part of the state and time period they were built. BUY BOOKS.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 04:41:06 AM »
I an thinking about getting another rifle in the next year or so. I have a Lancaster style rifle in .50, which is a nice shooting gun. I've heard people talk about Virginia rifles, and I think it would be interesting to have both. What are the characteristics that separate a Virginia from a Pennsylvania rifle?

Most "Lancaster" and "Virginia" rifles offered as kits or standard models by semi-custom makers are very generic.  It might be interesting to explore a rifle based on specific historic examples.

Andover, Vermont

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 05:41:28 AM »

Most "Lancaster" and "Virginia" rifles offered as kits or standard models by semi-custom makers are very generic.  It might be interesting to explore a rifle based on specific historic examples.

That's the thing here, for most.  That generic "kinda sorta" guns, whilst often cheaper and serviceable and fun to shoot, are not very good "replicas" as they don't really replicate anything.  It's more fulfilling to learn of the great and small nuances that differentiate a region or time-frame.  Learning the variations and variants of different gun makers, per region, per time period, etc, is the core of the study of longrifles and the history of their makings and use.

I have not dug into PA or VA rifles but think that the VA guns can be broken into variants by region and period.  The PA guns are generally talked about in specific county or maker and period.

SO I'll bet if you asked a more narrowly-focused question here,  you might get some answers that give a bit more guidance.  Example: What is the generally agreed upon transition between early and late PA (or VA)?

anyhoo, here's some reading for free (it's the opinion of Gary Brumfield* on Virginia Rifles) 

*apparently, I see no credit otherwise. It might be a good place to get some ideas and specifics.

http://www.flintriflesmith.com/WritingandResearch/WebArticles/VirginiaRifle.htm
Hold to the Wind