Author Topic: Who made this gun, HELP PLEASE  (Read 10334 times)

Jimmy3

Who made this gun, HELP PLEASE
« on: October 14, 2015, 02:58:50 PM »
I recently got a very nice English walnut 1/2 stocked rifle with a 1"x34"x0.50 cal Getz Barrel out of a local estate sale.  The gun has no markings or signatures but the barrel is marked GETZ and a serial number 2351.  There are no carvings or inlays but the fore end cap is a nice poured pewter.  The furniture is german silver. The deceased relatives have no clue as to who made the gun or when it was acquired.  I should very much like to discover who was the builder.  Unfortunately John Getz (the son) does not respond to my inquiries as to who was the original buyer of the barrel # 2351.   Can anyone help.  JFWhite,  email =  3riverscatalysis@charter.net

I can send you photos if you provide an e-mail but I cannot figure out how to attach photos to this post

Offline Molly

Re: Who made this gun, HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 03:19:45 PM »
Go to Misc. tutorials and you will see one on attaching photos.  I have found using the "tinypic" method the easiest but actually I think the directions are not well written for someone who does not know how. 

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 03:48:00 AM »
Molly got that right. I have items I would like to sell. Have had no luck.

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 04:40:58 AM »
A longrifle or fowler of any description will be hard to nail down to a maker if it is unsigned. Starting back when Dixie Gun Works began offering American-made gun parts (1950's?) till now, there have been thousands of rifles and fowlers that are unsigned for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, if he was a beginning builder, he'd likely not be accomplished at engraving or have the money for a set of metal stamps to sign his name on the barrel. Since he was building for himself, the need for a signed gun would not be necessary. Even a name does not guarantee where and when it was made. However, if he found himself in demand to craft for other people, he'd concentrate on spending the funds for the metal stamp set or be investing in Joe Meek's book. "The Art Of Engraving".

His workmanship and reputation might only be known locally and not on a regional or national scale. The late Carl Hanneken of Shallotte, NC made over 300 muzzleloaders and yet, he was only known in the Carolinas & Georgia.

Sometimes, a well-known gunmaker would refrain from putting his name on the barrel if the customer were going to furnish the parts instead of the gunmaker. The customer does not always have the same "educated eye" for finesse and workmanship as the maker, but the maker chooses to build the rifle, stipulating that his name will either appear on the bottom flat or not appear at all.

I have a beautiful Hawken-style .50 caliber rifle built by John Bergmann, but no signature on top or bottom flat. The clincher was the previous owner provided me with a dozen letters between the original owner and Mr. Bergmann over a year. The initial letter from Mr. Bergmann also included photos of himself and early works of his. I contacted Mr. Bergmann and emailed him photos of mine and one of the letters, and he indicated that it was his work. If it had not been for the letters, it would not be as valuable as it is today.

As to the Getz barrel, it could have either been bought by an individual five years ago, for example, or purchased along with two dozen straight and swamped barrels for a mail-order catalog outfit like Track Of The Wolf, for example. A barrel is hard to trace down to the buyer.

Hope this helps,

Buck Buchanan

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 04:45:29 AM by D. Buck Stopshere »
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Old Bob

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 04:27:10 AM »
I don't know when the rifle was built, but I know the barrel is at least 35 to 40 years old. I have a swamped Getz .45 that I bought at Ft. Chambers with a 7XXX serial number. I took it to a shoot and had Don look it over and tell me when he made it. He said based on the serial number sometime in the early 80's. He also said it was a special order too since it had a 1 in 72 twist.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 02:02:58 PM »
Sounds like a Jimmy  "Cross Eyed" Johnson gun from the description..... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?