Author Topic: Punching Out Patches  (Read 10093 times)

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
Punching Out Patches
« on: October 15, 2015, 01:19:34 AM »
Just curious how the rest of you cut out your shooting patches? I've been doing mine like this in the pictures below for, well since I can remember. I use a 1-1/4 inch single hole punch and cut 8 patches at once. By the way, this is my new portable cutting block made of rough cut lumber laminated together with Tite-Bond II glue. When one side wears out I'll just turn it over and cut more patches until it wears out, then I'll dress the top & bottom with my 12" blade saw-z-all. My new block is setting on my old block that was a long Ash stump but it's worn out and splitting. I like to put a layer of cardboard under my patching material before I make the punch/cut. After I took these pictures I punched out 48 patches in just a few minutes.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 01:22:48 AM by Candle Snuffer »
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline grabenkater

Re: Punching Out Patches
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 02:04:49 AM »
Where do you find the punch?
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Candle Snuffer

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 02:16:22 AM »
I bought this one from McMaster/Carr about 25-30 years ago. It was a high dollar punch back then, I'd hate to think what it cost today? Fabric stores sell them for less but I'm not sure of the quality?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:17:16 AM by Candle Snuffer »
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 02:30:06 AM »
Where do you find the punch?

Scroll down this link, about 1/3 of the way  http://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/tools/tools.html

Or search for "Osborne leather punch", Osborne is the better known brand and will be easier to find, maybe even locally.   

Offline Candle Snuffer

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 02:41:40 AM »
Yep, O'Brian Consolidated Industries is who made mine according to the box it came in (Lewiston, ME - USA). They are worth every penny for the quality you get.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 02:54:59 AM »
I made the only one I've got out of a hole saw with the teeth ground off and then sharpened. I'll stretch and staple multiple layers of material on a scrap piece of wood and then just go to town with it in my drill press. I can cut hundreds of patches in a very little time.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 03:19:02 AM »
I do mine the most consistant way, I cut mine at the muzzle. That way I know that the ball is centered in the patch every time.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 03:58:08 AM »
I do mine the most consistant way, I cut mine at the muzzle. That way I know that the ball is centered in the patch every time.

topknot

Same here!

~Tony

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 04:23:45 AM »
I'm with Wobblyshot, I've tried every method, and the sharpened hole saw gets the most patches, with the least amount of sweat. I don't staple the ticking down. I use spring clamps.

Hungry Horse

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 04:33:49 AM »

topknot
X3
Tom Compton
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 08:02:03 PM »
The black square is a 2 1/2" block of UHMW or HDPE.  I use it for cutting patches with arch punches. With the ball bearing races and large ball bearings, we/I use an anvil on the floor.  The Arch punch can cut many layers at a time & the UHMW is self healing, sort of. The ball bearing race - only one thickness at a time, but it takes little time to cut 1000 patches.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Candle Snuffer

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 09:23:09 PM »
I use to cut a lot of patches in the Spring to get through to the following year, as I use to shoot quite a bit more then I have the last three years or so. Punching out the patches sure come in handy for loading up the ball blocks. I usually will keep 20 to 30 patched balls in ball blocks for each of my shooting bags so I'm ready to just grab and go with whichever rifle I have a mind to shoot on those days I do get out.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline JBJ

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 12:02:18 AM »
Check out http://www.bloomertool.com/ and look for wad and gasket punches. German quality and the prices are the best I have found. Don't let the metric sizes bother you. You can get close enough for patch cutting.
J.B.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 01:21:28 AM »
For those who may be looking for good quality punches, this place has USA made Osborne punches.

http://www.campbell-randall.com/

I bought a 1 5/16" arch punch for patches, it was about $65

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 06:45:53 PM »
 I have to ask why someone would buy a punch for sixty five dollars, when a plumber, of electrician,will probably give you a worn out hole saw to make a power cutter out of? Just sayin'.

Hungry Horse

BartSr

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
I use my wife's rotary cutter on her healable green mat with her permission.  :-[  Makes short work of a pile of fabric.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »
Wow, seems like an awful lot of work and expense. A patch knife, and cut at the muzzle is so easy.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 06:57:06 PM »
 My club puts on a range day, that is open to the public. It is designed to encourage non-shooters, to come out, and give it a try. Last year I spent the day loading, and coaching, new shooters, at this event. I loaded over a hundred rounds, in just one of the four guns. Cutting the patches at the muzzle is not an option. Its too slow, requires a sharp knife (100 patches will take the edge off of any patch knife), and lubing each patch individually. This is way too slow.

Hungry Horse