Author Topic: Advice for upcoming build please  (Read 3137 times)

2longhunt

Advice for upcoming build please
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:48:49 PM »
Hi,
I am wanting to build a Southern rifle along the lines of a Soddy Daisy. I need some advice on what components would be appropriate. I've looked at the examples in the library and love the looks of those rifles. I think I want a 42" barrel in .40 caliber possibly a strait 13/16" but open for suggestions. Not sure on round or flat bottom rifling. Any pros or cons to different barrels would be appreciated. 

I'm preferring a walnut stock but would settle for maple. A friend has a maple that would take a 42" barrel that he'd sell me and he said he'd inlet the barrel. But, I'm unsure the 13/16" barrel is the way to go. I want a gun that will be used as a work tool and I'll mainly be hunting squirrels and small game with it. It won't be fancy by any means. I prefer a percussion lock of some sort and unsure about the triggers.

It will take me quite a while to accumulate the parts because I'm on a tight budget so good deals will dictate my purchases. I'll try making some parts since I have a friend that has a forge.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Mark

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Advice for upcoming build please
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 04:08:38 PM »
 I think your biggest problem might be getting furniture that really looks like Soddy Daisy furniture. Most manufactured furniture, is generic Tennessee/Bean.
 The lock I would get is the Chambers  Southern mountain lock, that uses the large Siler internals.
 I'm sure there are more than a few tutorials on making southern rifle furniture. One that I know of that doesn't start out by wanting you to buy a fortune in blacksmithing equipment is in the Foxfire series book number five, done by Hershel House.

Hungry Horse

2longhunt

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »
Yeah I have that book and it's a wealth of information. I know I more than likely can't replicate exactly some of the SD parts so, at this point, I'm in the research mode and that's half the fun of making a gun I think. I love the historical aspect of the guns.

Thanks.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 06:49:25 PM »
Don't worry about exact--no two are really alike.  Take a look at runastaves post on making my first american longrifle, lots a pic's & info there.
 Also www.tnhogrifle.com has some SD rifles to see......good luck...Tom

2longhunt

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 07:30:40 PM »
Thanks Gunmaker. I will.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 09:47:26 PM »
I would cheat and use a southern classic Rice barrel ( more meat for your drum ). Walnut stock for sure.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 02:59:10 AM »
Mark you can make all your furniture for your gun. Buttplate, trigger gaurd,,thimbles from old muffler parts. A friend of mine who builds them . Got me started useing that metal. Easy to work with. If you go on the CAL site u will see his rifles. Type in Jack Duprey. Let me know if you like what you see.