Author Topic: 2 groove British Sporter  (Read 11568 times)

Steve Bertram

2 groove British Sporter
« on: October 21, 2015, 09:21:38 PM »
This is my first post on your fine forum. I am gunmaker who specializes in the restoration of classic firearms with a focus British side by side shotguns, rifles and single shots. I have recently purchased  William Moore 14 bore two groove rifle and am anxiously awaiting its delivery. I have some wood repairs to do and once that is complete I plan on sending Jeff Tanner in the UK a cerrosafe cast of my bore and having a belted ball mold made. According to the seller the rate of twist is about 1:32". Any input regarding load development would be greatly appreciated.
                      Steve

« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 08:44:21 AM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Bob Roller

Re: 2 groove British Sporter
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:38:38 PM »
This is my first post on your fine forum. I am gunmaker who specializes in the restoration of classic firearms with a focus British side by side shotguns, rifles and single shots. I have recently purchased  William Moore 14 bore two groove rifle and am anxiously awaiting its delivery. I have some wood repairs to do and once that is complete I plan on sending Jeff Tanner in the UK a cerrosafe cast of my bore and having a belted ball mold made. According to the seller the rate of twist is about 1:32". Any input regarding load development would be greatly appreciated.
                      Steve

Elegance in the grand manner of the London Gunmakers.No idea on the 2 groove belted ball.
Seems to me that the 2 groovers used a winged projectile instead of a belted ball. Does the
single set trigger still work??

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 08:43:28 AM by Tim Crosby »

hammer

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 09:47:25 PM »
Is this the same bore and grooves of the Brunswick rifle and its belted ball?  If so the belt goes into the grooves within a greased cloth patch.   Loads may be similar.  Britishmilitaria web site and Forum should have something.
Good luck.
Peter.

Steve Bertram

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 10:03:20 PM »
I have yet to get the rifle in my hand as of yet, I'll know more once it arrives. I believe the set trigger works. I believe it to be similar to a Brunswick rifle in bore and groove, maybe a faster rate of twist I do not know for sure. A winged conical is another possibility.

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 11:54:57 PM »
What caliber? that would help on figuring loads.
I once owned a Rigby (in the 1970's) that had molds for both the winged ball as well as a winged conical. Caliber was .58 and it had 1:30 twist.

My best loads for the roundball were in the order of 80-100 grains of 2F - I tried patched (high thread (500tpi)) count linen and un-unpatched . the batched ball did better than un-patched, but for a second shot the un-patched did fine out ot 50 yds or so. Never used the conical much since it was so pointed that it wasn't a good game killer.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Steve Bertram

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 02:38:25 AM »
14 bore so it should be about .690" diameter. I would love to be able to run 100-120 grains of 2F in it.

Online Feltwad

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 10:10:23 AM »
Steve
If you need more information on your Moore two grove rifle try the MLAGB website they have members who specialize in these original rifles
Feltwad

Steve Bertram

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 03:38:43 PM »
Thank you feltwad, I just joined.
            Steve

The Rambling Historian

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 09:36:21 PM »

There is a Kentucky rifling on the latest Rock Island Auction blog post along with a bunch of other rifles:
https://rockislandauction.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 08:45:00 AM by Tim Crosby »

Steve-In

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 08:12:04 PM »
Steve Dick Chubb has harvested whitetails with his belted ball guns.  I don't have contact info on him but he may be able to help with loads.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 11:32:08 PM »
The gun at RIZ is pictured here in the library, AB Smith?
Buck
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:35:06 PM by Buck »

doug

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 10:00:18 PM »
.No idea on the 2 groove belted ball.
Seems to me that the 2 groovers used a winged projectile instead of a belted ball.

I have a two groove rifle that I think was made by Lancaster.  I shoot a patched and belted ball out of it and it seems to be moderately accurate (it has been a while since I shot it).  If my memory is correct the ball is about .60 cal and the belt about .66" diameter.  I made a Jeff Tanner style nesting mold about .010" smaller than the bore.

cheers Doug