Author Topic: Is there a better but economical borescope around.  (Read 4458 times)

Offline EC121

Is there a better but economical borescope around.
« on: October 25, 2015, 05:59:05 PM »
I recently bought one of those $12 borescopes from Ebay.  For the money it works fairly well.  However, it has left me wanting a little better scope without spending $300 to upgrade.  Does anyone have experience with other scopes in the midrange?  Also most of the expensive ones are too short to get a good look at the bottom of a 42" barrel. 
Brice Stultz

Offline JLBSparks

• Starting Member
Re: Is there a better but economical borescope around.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 05:01:37 AM »
Off-brand lighted nock (Nockturnal?). $5 for three on after season clearance. Turn one on and drop it down the barrel.
Mine are the green ones.

-Joe

Offline RonC

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 05:25:48 AM »
I've been using an 8 mm diameter borescope that has its own screen on the handheld unit that I purchased for about $70 on sale at Harbor Freight Tools. It normally was $90. There is a similar unit (made by the same company) that is 5 mm diameter and could be used for smaller bores. It costs over $200, although I have seen it for less.

It fits down to my .45 cal rifles. The image is quite acceptable.
Ron
Ron

Offline Dave R

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 04:29:57 PM »
Ron C.
What is the effective length of the 8 mm and 5 mm ?                                                                           /
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:31:01 PM by Dave R »

Offline RonC

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 07:39:50 PM »
Dave, my unit with the 8.5 mm (not 8 mm as I originally stated) is approximately 39" long.

The viewing screen, similar to what you see on modern digital cameras, is in color. The "Inspection" scope has really enlightened me about the bores of my traditional muzzleloaders.

I had been cleaning in the traditional fashion of flushing 2 or 3 times with water that has a bit of dish detergent. Then, I used alcohol or WD40 to displace or remove water until I had the chance to do a thorough cleaning at home.

Once home, I tried water with dish soap, Ballistol and Moose Milk as cleaners one time or another for a final cleaning. A final application of a rust preventative (EezOx or Barricade) and it was done. All the above was using just cleaning patches. The bores looked clean and shiny with a bore light dropped in.

When I used the Inspection scope, the view was disturbing. There was gunk and even some orange oxidation spots in the corners of the rifling grooves! This was in ALL my muzzleloaders that had been meticulously cleaned.

My solution? I used a nylon bore brush for a few strokes. Then I used a patch over the bore brush to wipe the crud out. The inspection scope showed a much different picture after that. The no longer was residual schmutz (dirt) or rust in the rifling!
That residual likely was nothing harmful, and many people never use a bore brush, but I am a much happier shooter without it.
Ron
Ron

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 03:31:24 AM »
  :) Thanks Ron!  Going to get me one.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 11:45:08 PM »
Hey Ron.  I've been looking for .50 and .54 nylon brushes with 8-42 or 10-32 threads.  Where did u get yours ?
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline RonC

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 06:18:47 AM »
I wanted the looped rather than the twisted together and crimped style to reduce the chance that it would come apart in the bore. These are the ones I found at Brownells and ordered:
SKU Number    Product Name       Unit Price    Qty    Total
084-420-249    .50 BP RIFLE NYLON BORE BRUSH, 3 PAK      $8.99   1   $8.99
084-420-253    .54 BP RIFLE NYLON BORE BRUSH, PAK 3      $8.99   1   $8.99

Ron
Ron

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 07:41:46 AM »
Thanks Ron and Eric.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/