Author Topic: LaFayette Long Rifles  (Read 4520 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
LaFayette Long Rifles
« on: October 26, 2015, 05:30:01 PM »
Just curious if anyone here is in the central NC area, and if so, do you belong to Lafayette Long Rifles (or at least participate in their activities?)

http://ncflintlock.wix.com/llr

I'm planning to attend their Fall Frolic next month.  I've heard they're a good bunch of folk, too.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 05:30:26 PM by bones92 »
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline bones92

Re: LaFayette Long Rifles
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 12:08:42 AM »
For anyone in the central NC area, the  Fall Frolic is scheduled for Nov 13-14 (Fri - Sun). 

400 Flintlock Lane
Fuquay Varina, NC

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 04:32:32 AM »
 I'm planning to come down to my sons place in Hendersonville N.C. this winter do you have shoots during the winter ? How far is it to your shoot from Hendersonville? Thanks for the info.

Offline bones92

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 09:15:55 PM »
I think Hendersonville is a good long ways away.  The LLR location is about 30 minutes south of Raleigh, NC.

I don't think they have anything else slated for the next few months, though I do believe some of the members get together informally for shooting at the range.

Offline bones92

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 07:03:04 PM »
So my son and I went out and visited the LLR camp this weekend.    I brought a DGW flintlock and Traditions short "Tennessee" .50 percussion.   

To make a long story short, while examining the lock on the DGW, a member inadvertently broke the mainspring, so I didn't get to fire it at all.  He was very gracious and assured me that he can and will repair it.  I assured him it was not a requirement, but he insisted.   

So we broke out the Traditions .50 TN rifle, and after putting a few rounds through it myself, my son fired it a few times and did pretty well.  (He's only 7).

Sunday afternoon, we scurried out again, and I brought the Bill Large flintlock (which I've posted about here).  I got one shot off, and to make a long story short, I ended up having a bore brush break off and get stuck down at the bottom of the barrel.   >:(    Fortunately, when I got home I had a ball puller on one of the range rods that successfully grabbed onto the brush, and I was able to clear the barrel and clean the rifle (after one, pathetic shot).   I will say that the one and only round out of the Bill Large rifle showed me how nice the .40 caliber can be... not much recoil at all, which makes me think I will let my son try it out, too.

The Lafayette Long Rifle folk that I met were nothing short of gracious and welcoming.  I do think I will likely become a regular attendee at their events.   Now, where to find period-correct 18th-century clothing...?

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 02:27:12 AM »
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I can only offer the old quote

"When you lose the fight, don't lose the lesson"

Brushes cause many more problems in a front loader than they solve.

Offline bones92

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 03:35:01 AM »
Agreed.