Author Topic: Made Meat Today  (Read 7258 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Made Meat Today
« on: December 05, 2015, 06:37:20 AM »
Went down to the farm with Dad today. Took my little .40 cal. cherry stock flintlock. Took a little spike buck with dead center hit on neck at about 70 yards. Dropped in his tracks. 55 grains 3f .395 with .018 pillow ticking and bear oil patch lube. First deer with this rifle. It might be my new favorite if I can ever get the lock the way I want it. I believe it is a Colerain 44" swamped barrel.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

nosrettap1958

Re: Made Meat Today
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 06:12:08 PM »
With a shot like that it better be your new favorite!!!!!!

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »
Anytime that they drop in their tracks, it's a good thing!!

Good going!

~Tony

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 08:51:41 PM »
David:  very well done indeed.  But I'd call your shot more luck than good management.  I direct this comment to all hunters...make CENTRE OF LUNG shots only fellows.  There's too much that can go wrong with anything else.  And NEVER  go for head shots, no matter how close the quarry, or how good a shot you think you are.  Wait for the through and through lung shot.  We owe it to the game animal.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 09:15:39 PM »
Nice job on getting your deer David. Young deer are good eating and tender.

I got a small buck during the MN general firearms season with my .50 TN flint rifle. Punched a hole through both lungs at about 50 yards with 65gr. ffg and a 490 rb. I need as big a target as possible! He ran about 30 yards and dropped.

Enjoy that tender venison.

Ted K

Fred Hembree

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 05:18:22 AM »
Congrats on that deer and that rifle.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 05:45:50 AM »
Congrats on your deer David. Thats a pretty good shot if you were aiming at the neck. It should be a tasty critter if done up right.

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 03:14:47 PM »
I would rather take broad side shots when they are available. I waivered on taking this shot and sought Divine guidance before pulling the trigger. My answer came from another deer that I had already spooked who started to snort. I knew this would be the only open shot I would have before he bolted into the brush. I knew this rifle was true. It shot cloverleaf holes consistently in paper at the range. I will call it blessing, but I don't believe in luck. I don't carry any horse shoes or rabbit's feet. The last lung shot I took was on a very large mature doe. Sixty two caliber ball through both lungs and she ran 150 yards before dropping.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

nosrettap1958

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 04:15:24 PM »
It wasn't luck.   It was a well built rifle, a well practiced and steady operator with lots of trigger time knowing what his rifle will do and not do, and most importantly, deer don't really want to cooperate with the guy who is about to shoot them.

How about a pic of your rifle?????
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:18:32 PM by crawdad »

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 04:57:53 PM »
Here is "Lucky". Gave wrong maker credit for that barrel, it's a Green Mtn. 44" swamped .40 with square bottom wide grooves and narrow lands. The stock is from a Wild Cherry I took out of the back yard that the kids played in. All the hardware (except the lock) is home made. My first scratch built set triggers. Not very good pictures.

VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 05:23:32 PM »
Awesome

nosrettap1958

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 06:16:25 PM »
I like that rifle. Solid, workmanlike lines.  It also has a great connection to that tree in your backyard, can't beat that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 06:17:43 PM by crawdad »

Offline J Henry

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 07:43:45 PM »
   I  have till 12 Dec to get a deer or find a recipe that makes hotdogs taste like venison,,weather is perfect,cold ,frost,light snow,breeze ,,S/SW, New moon 11 Dec. have not seen the first deer this year that wasn't in the headlights crossing the road..
  Glad to read someone is filling the meat pole..

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 11:11:55 PM »
I agree that lung shots are the surest bet and always prefer those when possible. I never have taken a head shot on a deer, and have only ever taken neck shots on deer that faced me dead on from below me. If your aim is off slightly on a deer that is facing you your chances of the ball still hitting vitals and making a clean kill are very good. The situation always dictates, I would always rather eat venison flavored hot dogs than wound an animal. Thanks for all the comments.  J, hope you don't have to eat hot dogs.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Fred Hembree

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 12:31:38 AM »
Great pics of the rifle!  Love that you used your own wood from your own cherry tree. You guys are cracking me up with that venison hotdog stuff though. ;-)

HAWKEN

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 09:44:49 PM »
Congratulations David, nicely done!  That is a nice photo of your rifle, how about one of your deer........robin   ;)

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 03:41:09 AM »
Sorry, this is the best I could do on a picture of the deer at this point.

VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 10:42:49 PM »
A nice flintlock deer is always a trophy.  That rifle is quite nice and I like that stock.

I agree with Taylor on neck and head shots; way too much risk of wounding and slow death. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 12:22:22 AM »
 Congrats David. But I'm with Taylor. Double lung broadside is my shot. Dead deer every time. But I don't debate a shot if the person behind the gun is confident on there capabilities. But that frontal shot allows to much room for error. Unless you are a very good shot. Not referring to you at all. Being a good shot is one thing. Being a good tracker is even better. Imho

JBlk

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 03:39:44 PM »
Everyone has their favorite shot placement.Practice with your rifle rifle until you know where it hits and then use your own judgement.I would much rather see a deer drop in its tracks than need to track it until fat plugs the hole and you loose it.That little rifle should make a good squirrel rifle in the off season and its good practice not to mention the good meals.