Author Topic: Sgt. Alvin York Memorial shoot  (Read 4670 times)

mmprwarner

Sgt. Alvin York Memorial shoot
« on: December 14, 2015, 11:44:56 PM »
Hello Sgt. Alvin York Memorial shooters . It's kind of getting close to that time of year, and there are couple of new wrinkles. If you have questions, you may get answers to them in the following manner. You can email    yorkshoot@gmail.com    or go to the Sgt. York shoot website located at      http://prwarner.wix.com/sergent-york-shoot        See the contact us tab you may also visit the registration page of the website and download your free registration. Please note the change in address where your sending the preregistration it will be good to start hearing from some of you. Anyway, thanks for your time and if any of you have shoots you would like to get on my calendar. Please contact me.

Kentucky Colonel

Re: Sgt. Alvin York Memorial shoot
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 07:17:07 AM »
This is what type of turkey shoot? The site is not very specific about rifle types.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 02:28:53 PM »
Thanks for putting that message up.
I see there is a 230 shooter limit on entries. Do they typically reach that limit, and if so...how far in advance of the shoot date does a fellow have to make his decision and get registered to avoid running the risk of being denied entry..??
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 03:38:34 PM »
Perhaps I missed it, but how many shots and at what range?  What target is used?  just an X?  How many shots?  How many relays?

Thanks

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline okawbow

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
I have my registration and check in the mail.

I haven't been to the shoot, but I believe it is an over the log shoot, consisting of 10 , 1 shot matches at 60 yards. You bring your own spotter targets. The scoring targets are an X. Each X target is scored by measuring the distance from the center of the X to the center of the bullet hole. The ten match targets are added together for a "string" total. A good string is often under 5" depending on weather conditions.

Muzzleloading round all only, open sights, shaders allowed.

I'm building a 48 cal. "Chunk gun" with a 54" , 1 1/4" barrel. I hope to have it ready and shooting well by the York shoot.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

mmprwarner

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 06:26:45 PM »
Let's start from the top okawbow is correct. It is an over the log match shot 60 yards. Shooter supplies. There owns spotter targets and target stand. If you don't mind 10 one-shot center X targets total string measurement determines finishing place. If you go to the website and look under about the event. About two thirds the way down, it describes the rifle acceptable sites and the chunk or log that you would shoot over. Don there is a 230 shooter limit, but it has been a few years since we've had to worry about that in order to preregister you would need to have it in our hands by March 19, 2016. However, with the pasture years we have had a number of shooters. Register at the event itself. We have people shoot everything from CVA or Thompson center hunting rifles clear up to and including custom-built chunk guns. Please go check out the entire website. I think it will explain a lot.

Offline crankshaft

mmprwarner

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 11:17:59 PM »
This is what type of turkey shoot? The site is not very specific about rifle types.

This is from the site
For those of you who have not competed in this particular event before, you may find the following helpful information before arriving at shoot.

RIFLE

The rifle may be either flint or percussion ignition, of either the traditional hunting or traditional target type, with no limit as to weight or caliber. The rifle may not be equipped with a false muzzle. No in-line actions, thumbhole stocks will be allowed.

FRONT SIGHT

The front sight may be a blade, pin-head, post or barleycorn. The use of Shaders is permitted.

Rear sights

All rear open sights must be at least six inches forward of the breech end of the barrel. They must have a U, V, or rectangular opening, as wide at the top as any part of the notch. Adjustable rear open sights have in the past and will continue to be permitted. However, no adjustment may be made to the sites after the beginning of the competition. And adjustment screws should be covered with either wax or tape. The use of Shaders is permitted.

Chunk

There should be nothing that would confine the rifle, in place on top of the chunk. For instance, if you use a sandbag should move freely on top of the chunk. If you're using a cant block affixed to your rifle, it should be able to move freely on top of the chunk