Author Topic: Jim Kibler Kits - UPDATED photos and website  (Read 32722 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Jim Kibler Kits - UPDATED photos and website
« on: October 29, 2015, 12:30:24 AM »
Hey there everyone.  I thought I would take a bit of time and introduce you to a project I am working on...  A mountain rifle kit.

UPDATE: because of the positive feedback, new pre-orders will be shipped in spring. Orders will ship on a first come, first ship basis.

These kits will be significantly different than any others offered today.   Instead of stocks being produced on pantograph type duplicating machines, CNC technology will be used.  These kits will combine both excellent design and precise manufacturing.  The stocks and hardware will be produced in my shop, the locks will be provided by Jim Chambers and the barrels will be provided by Rice.

The design of this kit is somewhat based on the work of Whitson from Western North Carolina (refer to photo included).  Rifles will be iron mounted and have 46" swamped barrels available in 32, 36 and 40 calibers.  Jim Chambers late Ketland locks will be used.

As noted previously, the most significant feature of these kits is the method stock are produced.  With CNC, very precise and repeatable results can be obtained.  Inlets are clean and precise and in proper location relative to each other.  All parts are inlet and require very little fitting.  The barrel will come fit to the stock.  All holes (bolt and pin) will be drilled.    Stock surfaces are extraordinarily refined with little to no extra material.  What this all results in is a product that has excellent design and style that can be assembled quickly and easily with little hassle.

Additional features of these rifles include tangs fully shaped tangs that extend down the length of the wrist, nicely designed iron hardware and custom set triggers designed specifically for this project.

Each kit will include:

Stock
Barrel
Breech Plug / Tang
Lock
Buttplate
Guard
Set Triggers
Side Plate
Ram Rod
Ram Rod Tip
Ram Rod Pipes
Front and Rear Sights
Underlugs
Lock Bolt
Tang Bolts
Pin Stock
Wood Screws

Each kit will be delivered in custom fitted packaging to provide secure shipment.  

Kits will likely be ready for shipment sometime late this winter.  

Estimated time for assembly and finishing is 3-4 days for someone with little experience.  Those more skilled might complete assemble in as little as 1-2 days.  Guns can of course be customized to make them unique.  Grease holes can be cut, a box could be added, a decorative nose cap could be poured or perhaps a silver name plate could be installed.    A perfect project for those interested in a fine squirrel rifle!

A course on assembling these kits is being offered at this years Gunsmithing Seminar at WKU.  Check out the following link for more details:

http://www.nmlragunsmithingseminar.org/

Below are some photos of a the partially completed project.  These should provide an idea of what to expect.

NOTE:  THE STOCK SHOWN IS NOT COMPLETE, MORE DEVELOPMENT IS REQUIRED FOR ADDITIONAL INLETS SUCH AS THE FULL LENGTH TANG, TRIGGERS, GUARD AND SIDEPLATE.  THESE WILL BE INCLUDED WHEN KITS ARE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE.

I am taking pre-orders.  Based on early response, I expect the first batch to go pretty quickly.  Ill post details of this in the For Sale section.

I have added some photos that have better lighting and  detailed information about the kit on my website.  http://www.jimkibler.net/kit-gun.html

Also, for those that want to pay by credit card, this option is now available as well since the kit has been added to the store.  http://www.jimkibler.net/store/p24/Mountain_Rifle_Kit_Gun_%28Base_Price_%24950%29.html

You can select options and the proper price should show once it's added to the cart.

UPDATE: because of the positive feedback, new pre-orders will be shipped in spring. Orders will ship on a first come, first ship basis.

Any questions (or trouble with the website), please let me know.

Thanks,
Jim Kibler
Kibler's Longrifles

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 04:11:04 AM by Jim Kibler »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Jim Kibler Kits
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 12:33:47 AM »
Hokey-smokes, Jim! That is so crisp, lovely architecture, clean, clean, clean, especially the lock inlet.

Wow, I gotta look under my desk, my socks just got knocked off.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

erin

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 12:52:46 AM »
Jim, what price range are these kits exected to be in?

Marshall

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 01:10:54 AM »
Thanks Acer!  As I'm sure you know, CNC is amazing stuff.  The surface finish is actually better than the photos show.   The down side is that development of a process like this is extremely difficult, time consuming and costly...   Especially on an item like a little skinny longrifle stock!

I might add, that the entire stock is shaped.  there are no chunks of wood to remove anywhere on the surface.

I should also note, that the stock shown is a low grade piece of maple used for this sample.   Kits will include a nicely figured piece of maple or a good piece of walnut. 

I addressed the price in the for sale section, but will mention that the introductory price will be $950 for the complete kit.

Thanks!
Jim Kibler

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 02:15:05 AM »
That is a very reasonable price for that kit!  That is almost an "in the white" rifle, requiring finish only.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline GANGGREEN

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 02:22:56 AM »
Wow, that looks really awesome and I'm afraid I'm going to have to purchase one at some point.  Any plans to make other schools or calibers available at some point Jim?

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 02:24:44 AM »
I would guess  that the kit included double set triggers and I'm sure LOP and drop etc. would be in an average persons comfort range or did you mention that and I missed it?

Willbarq

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 02:29:02 AM »
That looks like it could be finished and customized slightly pretty quick!

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 03:15:50 AM »
Sleek like a fine woman or a race car. Wow.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 03:36:07 AM »
That stock architecture is just beautiful Jim. That lock inlet is far too clean for a hillbilly! :)

Hope you sell a lot of them.

dave

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Joey R

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 03:57:23 AM »
Jim,will the kits include the thimbles and a nose cap? Is there any future plans for a patch box? I like the promise of this project.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 04:07:19 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I'll try to answer your questions.

The pull is 13 3/4 with enough drop to fit most people quite well.
Yes, it comes with set triggers.  These are custom designed for this kit and based on the work of Whitson.
Yes, the kit comes with all the necessary components including thimbles.  No provision for a nose cap is made.  A decorative poured cap would work well.

I may add some additional offerings in the future, but need to sell some of these first!  Seriously, developing a process necessary to produce these precisely and efficiently is a HUGE undertaking.  It's not complete yet, but I'm almost there.

Any more questions or comments let me know! 

I'll try to post some pictures of guns this was inspired from before too long. 

When I get a little further along with the process, I'll finish a gun and show photos of it as well.

Thanks for all the interest and kind words.  I appreciate it.

Jim

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 04:12:55 AM »
Wow Jim, good job making this happen.

Hope you can squeeze a net profit out of such, make that a win/win. I'll be sure to inform a few folks about this development.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 04:35:34 AM »
Jim,

What Rice barrel is being used? Southern Classic?
Mark Thomas

Offline Bart

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 10:06:02 AM »
Jim,

Any chance that your kit will be offered in left hand?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 02:12:50 PM »
That stock architecture is just beautiful Jim. That lock inlet is far too clean for a hillbilly! :)

Hope you sell a lot of them.

dave

That lock inlet obviously is not done by me and my shingle hatchet backed by a colony of termites.
That will be one superb kit and that Chambers late Ketland is the ideal lock for it.
Good show say I and I hope it succeeds beyond expectations.

Bob Roller

thimble rig

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »
Well Mr Jim that's a Nice looking rifle kit. How much U figure it will weigh in at when its done.Ive been looking for something like that.  How much would the shipping be.I can see that I will be snatching one of those up in  the near future.

Hemo

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 04:23:00 PM »
Super nice work, Jim!
Since all holes are drilled, will the lugs be pre-cut on the barrel? Sights inlet? Different grades of curly maple? Maybe cherry?
Since you'll be offering a six day course on putting this together at WKU, what do you plan to do on days two through six after it's all done ;D?
I tried to do a search for the North Carolina maker you based the design on without much success. Any links?
Good luck with this project!

Gregg

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 05:41:59 PM »
Thanks so much for the wonderful response.  For those who have sent messages, I'll be responding very soon.  Here are answers to some of the questions that have been asked:  I will compile things at some point to make the initial description a bit more clear.

Barrel type:  Rice "A Weight" "Golden Age" 46" swamped barrel.  32, 36 and 40 calibers

Complete rifle weight:  Approximately 7 lb 6 oz in 32 caliber, 7 lb 3 oz in 36 caliber and slightly under 7 lb in 40 caliber.

Shipping Cost:  Will vary with location, but an estimate would be around $25-$30

No left hand guns will be available at this point.

Sight and lug dovetails are not cut on the standard kit configuration, I am considering an option where these are all cut and the touch hole is completed.  As mentioned, bolt and pin holes are drilled in the stocks.  So in the case of pins, the dovetail would be install at the pin hole location and the hole would be drilled through the lug, with the barrel installed.

Wood:  Initially, I plan to offer the kits in maple and walnut.  I plan on offering a standard grade of wood.  For the maple this will be one with some figure, with good hardness and reasonable grain flow.  I may at some point offer various grades for an additional cost.  If you are set on a fancy piece of wood, contact me and we might be able to work something out.  As cherry wouldn't typically have been used on a rifle of this styling, it's not currently being offered.  If I find some nicely figured ash, I will probably offer this as well.

As to the course at WKU, assembly time will vary with skill level.  For those who are more advanced, extra time can be spent with some optional work, such as a poured nose cap, a patchbox or perhaps a silver name plate in the barrel.  I anticipate everyone having no difficulty completing their project.  It should be a relatively relaxing and fun week.  Maybe we'll shoot finished rifles at the end of the course as well.

Here is a list of all the components that will be included with the kit:

Stock
Barrel
Fully Shaped Breech Plug / Tang
Lock
Buttplate
Guard
Set Triggers
Side Plate
Ram Rod
Ram Rod Tip
Ram Rod Pipes
Front and Rear Sights
Underlugs
Lock Bolt
Tang Bolts
Pin Stock
Wood Screws

I will post some pictures of original work that this kit was inspired from sometime soon.

Thanks once again everyone!
Jim

« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:10:24 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 06:27:32 PM »
Jim you have defianatly put serious thought. Well done. Using the CNC is amazing. Because as u know. They are precision machines to tenths of a thousands accuracy. Now when Is the the school set for? An again well done.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 08:25:03 PM »
I'm ordering one today!  I have a young woman who wants to make her own rifle and this is perfect for the project.  Can't wait!!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 08:53:55 PM »
Jim, I think you are doing an exceptional job of bringing this idea to execution, and offering outstanding value. I could see your offering(s) becoming one of the preeminent kits on the market.

Personally the option of having a .40 caliber would greatly increase its utility, as it would be legal for medium sized game in MS & AL, as well as being comfortable for paper targets.

I hope this project brings you pleasure and profit. You have created a desire in me that did not exist before.

Regards,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 09:21:54 PM »
Carl,

You've convinced me to offer these in 40 caliber as well.  I've changed the information presented to include the 40 caliber option.

To all,

We're in the process of compiling all of this information on my website.  It will also allow purchase through the online store.  Stay tuned and I will give an update when this is complete.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline Frank

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 11:06:53 PM »
Glad to hear that all pinholes are drilled. I would hate to try and drill holes on a fully shaped stock.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »
As promised here are some shots of several rifles by Whitson.  The first is an excerpt from Bill Ivey's bood on North Carolina Longrifles.

Thanks,
Jim