Author Topic: Sources for Information on Flint Locks  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Bill-52

Sources for Information on Flint Locks
« on: October 29, 2015, 03:34:44 PM »
I'd like to learn more about the history and development of flint locks that were used on American Longrifles.  Few of the books in my meager library address locks at all and if they do, it's a cursory overview and short on pictures.

Any suggestions or recommendations for books, articles, websites, etc.?

Thanks,
Bill

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Sources for Information on Flint Locks
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »
When you find the book, please let me know. I keep waiting for someone very knowledgeable on locks to come out with it. I will say, Jim Gordon's  3 volume set “Great Gunmakers for the Early West”  has some great lock pictures.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 05:44:12 PM by Avlrc »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 05:11:54 PM »
When you find the book, please let me know.

I agree, and I don't think there will ever be such a book, and for this reason; Once you move past the Colonial times where there were hand made locks and ones imported from England, by 1800 or so, we get into a time when there were literally hundreds, if not thousands of companies making locks. And like the double barreled shotgun of the late 1800s, some were signed, some weren't, and some companies no doubt made several variations with several different names on them. And at this point today, there's no way to tell who made what. Plus, once you move past the early flintlocks, there's not a lot of collector interest, or value, in the run of the mill percussion locks.

One of the guys on this forum keeps threatening to publish a book on the Ketlands, and the huge number of locks they supplied to this country, and I'm looking forward to it someday.

John
John Robbins

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 06:21:10 PM »
That would be me. Unfortunately, the need to survive and complete projects I've undertaken for others keeps interrupting my schedule. The good news is that I'm in the process of finishing my last promised editing job, and told all my authors that it was now my turn.

To give the OP a short answer to his question — virtually none of the locks used on American rifles were made here. I haven't gone into the pre-1790s era very much but, of necessity, I've acquired some information along the way. Of course, about 99% of the surviving long rifles are post-Revolutionary and of those a huge percentage had locks made in three or four black country towns surrounding Birmingham, England. None of these were made by a single person. The gun lock trade was extremely specialized and the vast majority of the workers were small entrepreneurs, many of whom couldn't read or write and none of whom left any written records known to have survived. In fact, the only written records pertinent to a Birmingham export merchant that have survived include some firearms references but they are of no value for purposes of identification.

That said, some conclusions can be drawn from items that are dateable by other means and I expect to have some hard figures as to how many locks were imported. The numbers are staggering. This isn't to say no locks were ever made here, but so far nearly every one I can feel reasonably certain of can be attributed to someone known to have come from Birmingham or its environs. There are good purely technical reasons for this — like the fact that, in order to make a good lock, you needed steel. There was simply no commercial production of steel in America until much later, clearly illustrated by the need of the Springfield Armory to import it from England and Germany until after the Civil War.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:27:56 PM by JV Puleo »

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 08:37:10 PM »
Thanks Avric, John & JV for your thoughts and comments.  Just to clarify, my interest is not limited to the very few flint locks made in America but rather in the many flint locks used in America.  Thus, this includes the imports.

Kauffman's chapter on locks in his Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle is very informative but few pictures.  I was hoping that lurking out there was a book on locks modeled after Grinslade's Flintlock Fowlers - lots of pictures.

JV, I understand your comment on the dearth of information in Birmingham.  I searched, unsuccessfully, online for information on the Birmingham lock manufacturing business. I would have thought there was something. I'm sure looking forward to your research.

Bill

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 11:46:54 PM »
I actually have quite a bit of information about lock making, but very little of it will help anyone actually identify or date them. Nevertheless, here a a couple of useful tidbits....

W. Ketland marked locks must post-date 1801-1802 because prior to that he was in partnership with his father. That was when set up in business under his own name. The separation appears to have been cordial and the financial repercussions were not finally settled until well after his death in 1803.

Locks marked "Allport late with Ketland & Co." must post date 1816 when the partnership between W. Ketland and James Allport dissolved on the death of Mr. Allport. William Allport ,James' son, was the actual operating partner in W. Ketland & Co. until then. When his father died, James set up on his own.

Both lock markings are commonly seen on guns that are dated earlier than they can possibly be and can only be explained — on an earlier gun — as a replacement.

There is a great deal more and, while the central focus of my work is the K family, I'm using them as a vehicle to discuss the entire Anglo-American import trade.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 01:57:44 AM »
Shumway had a series of good articles on period Germanic gunlocks in Muzzle Blasts in the 1980s.
Andover, Vermont

Offline fm tim

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 05:46:47 PM »
Admittedly this book is about European lock development:

The Flintlock, Its Origin, Development, and Use

Thorsten Lenk

Skyhorse Publishing
555 Eighth Avenue,  Suite 903
New York, NY 10018

Offline RAT

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 08:26:18 PM »
There are good pictures of the inside and outside of locks, but you have to go searching for them. I don't believe there is a single book with photos compiled. I don't have a bibliography of exact titles handy but here are some from memory...

The jaeger book that Jim Chambers sells
The recent books published by Track of the Wolf
The book on Hudson's Bay Co guns by Gooding

There are others, but those are the 3 that come to mind. We're talking a few pictures in each book. Muzzle Blasts articles are another good source. I've also found good lock photos online. Check out Gary Brumfields site if it's still operating.

Everything I find I copy and have put in a notebook for reference.
Bob

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 03:10:10 PM »
Thanks everybody for your recommendations. Ordered the Lenk book through inter-library loan and will track down the others.

Bill