Author Topic: An interesting double barrel double lock rifle  (Read 2779 times)

Offline JTR

• member 2
An interesting double barrel double lock rifle
« on: October 29, 2015, 06:36:33 PM »
Mr No Gold and I saw this rifle at a local gun shop, and thought it was pretty interesting!

As you can see, it's not fancy nor expensive, and is in very original condition right down to both ramrods! Both barrels are smooth now, but it does have rifle sights so I assume the top barrel was originally rifled. As a bit of embellishment, it does have a bit of engraving here and there, though hard to see now.

But as a primary interest, at least to no gold and I, is the use of two different types of locks. The top barrel has a regular back action factory made percussion lock, marked Partridge. But the bottom barrel is fired by a nice hand made under hammer style lock!
I realize under hammer guns aren't allowed here, but this one has the required side hammer lock as well, so hope no one will be offended, and instead look at it as an interesting curiosity from an imaginative unknown maker.

John
PS, by the way, the gun is for sale, and if anyone has interest, contact me and I'll give you the info for the store.

John Robbins

Offline OLUT

Re: An interesting double barrel double lock rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 09:34:31 PM »
This type of over / under percussion gun was typically made in Southern New York State , such as in the Painted Post, NY area (Barry Wood) and further east in Elmira, NY (William Dewitt) as well by as several other unidentified gunmakers . Of course there was a spring steel trigger guard (now missing) that doubled as the spring for the bottom hammer. Although these barrels don't appear to be stamped, often the barrels will be marked by the barrel maker on the side just in front of the nipple "B. LOSEY" or "LOSEY & LULL"

CW Smokepole

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 01:02:16 AM »
John- I E'd you directly twice because I've had my knuckles rapped here before for attempting to discuss rifles that had their hammers on upside down- received?

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 07:30:29 AM »
This is very interesting, this is the first time I have seen an under hammer like this.

Regards
Frank Barker