Author Topic: Can somebody explain to me......  (Read 21466 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Can somebody explain to me......
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2015, 05:51:15 AM »
My first build had low HC diminutive silver blade. I didn't believe that the mirage could possibly be a problem on the big heavy octagon barrel on a slow loading muzzle loader, till my first session at the range. It was a February day with temps in the 20's and I was trying to work up a load. After only a half dozen shots I realized it would be impossible to shoot a decent match score with these sights. The front sight was dancing all over the place! Back to the bench to make a set of ugly, but practical tall sights. I agree that the teeny sights look better and if I were only going to hunt Indians and game in the deep dark frontier woods, or hang it on the wall, I would build them all that way.
The few originals I have handled had the small sights and the sight picture was foolproof. What I mean is that it is impossible to take in too much front sight. Think about it a minute. With a tall sight you can potentially line the sight up in the rear notch with some of the front sight above the notch and over shoot the target. In fact I use this in range shooting by filing two angles on the back side of the front blade. This determines how much of the sight I hold above the rear notch for 100 yard shots. With the original style sights and man or deer size targets you would have instinctively learned how much to hold up for the range. About the only time mirage from barrel heating would have been a problem would have been in a siege where repeated loading and firing from behind the fort walls would have allowed barrels to heat up. In Wills DeHass' book "History of Early Settlement and Indian Wars of West Virginia" he makes reference to some of the women in the forts "cooling" the men's rifles between shots. Perhaps this was to help combat sight mirage? 
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 03:41:30 PM »
I had excellent eyesight untill I was about 45. It's been downhill ever since. I only built my first long rifle about 2 yrs ago. I can no longer see the sights on it. The front blade is too narrow and the rear notch is too small. The sights on my 2nd rifle are oversized but I can see them.
I think when you examine or aim a gun, you tend to point it at a window or a bright background. Point that same gun at a treetrunk or a dark spot in the woods and everything changes.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 01:54:50 AM »
Molly, original sights were also set in a dovetail. Rather shallow, nevertheless a dovetail.

As far as more resistant to getting knocked off? Guess in the '70's I used some lousy solder to hold the silver (piece of an old quarter) blade onto the brass base for my Shriver rifle. It has been knockin' around the basement a while, awaiting ambition to rebarrel. Sight blade has gone, gone to its reward somewhere on the floor.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2015, 12:31:14 AM »
Make mine out of antler. Nice an white. Somewhat breakable. But against a deer hide they show up well. Targets no but I can't eat targets. An for h.c well not sure on that either.

Offline Molly

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2015, 02:34:44 AM »
Mr Kelley:  I have a number of "antique" firearms with dovetails for the front.  But the only original longrifle I have is said to have been made about 1800 and there is no dovetail.  Not the best pics but the front sight seems to be set in a narrow lengthwise "slit" ?  but certainly I don't think that it would be called a dovetail.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 02:39:37 AM by Molly »

ricktull

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 03:33:32 AM »
I had an early style rifle with a 44" in barrel and the correct thin, low sight and could not see it! Looked great, but useless for me

kaintuck

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 01:30:42 AM »
"In my mind the very low sights would offer a much less chance of getting damaged or bumped as opposed to the higher sights that most of us use today. Just a thought?"

I think that is a very reasonable thought as well.  I don't know what's involved to set one in place like the originals but might it be an easier/faster/simpler process rather than cutting a dove tail in the barrel as on today's replicas?

I have put only ONE sight into the barrel...a real pain in the butt....but It looked cool~ no windage adjustment tho........rear sight could be moved....but it hangs on the wall of my brother in laws house....most likely never to be shot~and it has a burton 40cal 46" barrel...... ;D

marc n tomtom