Author Topic: seeking some info on new rifle  (Read 3231 times)

Offline backwoodsdave

• Starting Member
seeking some info on new rifle
« on: November 01, 2015, 06:44:41 PM »
I purchased a full stock hawken from a local ad while visiting Tn. a couple weeks ago, the guy said he purchased it at dixie gun works some twenty five or so years ago and the price was real rite so I had to grab it, so I  got her home and took her apart looking for names and to give her a good cleaning and look over and its got a GR Douglas .50 1"x40" barrel, my questions are, (1) I've seen mixed reviews on these barrels, is it safe? As heavy as it is I would think so,(2) the lock and triggers are marked Longs Locks, Denver, I've seen very little info on them, are they good quality,serviceable parts,(3) there is no builders name anywhere I can find but on the bottom side of the tang is stamped W. Morgan and maybe what looks like a double stamped W on top of each other, just curios if Morgan could be the builder or just built the tang, any info/comments are appreciated, Dave

Offline Old Ford2

Re: seeking some info on new rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »
I have had many, I repeat many Douglas barrels without EVER a problem.
If you use REAL black powder, not smokeless, you will not have any problems.
They are among the best barrels made, then and today!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 07:51:55 PM »
I purchased a full stock hawken from a local ad while visiting Tn. a couple weeks ago, the guy said he purchased it at dixie gun works some twenty five or so years ago and the price was real rite so I had to grab it, so I  got her home and took her apart looking for names and to give her a good cleaning and look over and its got a GR Douglas .50 1"x40" barrel, my questions are, (1) I've seen mixed reviews on these barrels, is it safe? As heavy as it is I would think so,(2) the lock and triggers are marked Longs Locks, Denver, I've seen very little info on them, are they good quality,serviceable parts,(3) there is no builders name anywhere I can find but on the bottom side of the tang is stamped W. Morgan and maybe what looks like a double stamped W on top of each other, just curios if Morgan could be the builder or just built the tang, any info/comments are appreciated, Dave

The lock and triggers were made by Ron Long at that time in Denver,Colorado in the early 1980's. The W.Morgan tang was part of a parts group,probably for an earlier (J&S) Hawken. The Morgan plate and hammer are still available as far as I know. I have used both Long's plates and hammers as well as the Morgan.The Morgan plate has J&S Hawken and engraving cast into them and the hammer has only engraving.The Long locks are still made and sold by R.E.Davis Co as far as I know. I THINK Ron Long is still alive and I THINK Mr.Morgan is deceased. Maybe someone can clarify this.As to the builder of this gun,it could be anyone.
Going to barrel safety,I can't say one way or the other. With the advent of mass produced muzzle loaders there seemed to be a trend of using extreme loads and some guns did blow up with devastating results and some of these I know were caused by a ball stuck part way down and then the shooter tried to shoot it out. That silly idea gave rise to the comments about "Shoulder fired pipe bombs". A visual examination of the barrel for bulges and cracks is recommended and a tight oily patch run down in the bore to try and find rings or other roughness is a good idea.

Bob Roller

Offline backwoodsdave

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 08:11:23 PM »
Bob, thanks for the info, I do believe the rifle has never been fired, the previous owner stated he had never fire it and I can see some browning on the lands at the muzzle, the bore is smooth with a tight patch also.