Author Topic: Style/Type of rifle  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Old Ford2

Style/Type of rifle
« on: November 01, 2015, 07:02:11 PM »
What style of rifle is the Pedersoli Frontier rifle  ( flintlock )replicating? If any!
Fred
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 07:02:46 PM by Old Ford2 »
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

Re: Style/Type of rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:43:44 AM »
Very few of any of the Italian (& Spanish) civilian models replicate anything in particular, since they are engineered to fit the requirements in a factory setting to become a manufactured product.

This rifle is similar to the old Hatfield Rife that Ted Hatfield produced in the '70's and '80's. I was a Hatfield dealer back then, and learned later that Ted was getting everything, except the wood from Pedersoli.

After Hatfield closed their doors in St Joseph, MO, the company was resurrected by another outfit in MO, but they succumbed to closing in the early '90's(?). Pedersoli started carrying the "Hatfield Style" rifle in their own line, first calling it the "Blue Ridge Hunter",  and now, "The Frontier Rifle".

I believe the barrel has a patent breech designed breechplug and is usually fouled after a number of shots,creating misfires. A .22 caliber bore brush or a custom-made scraper on a range rod can help alleviate the fouling. The barrel is not held in the stock with pins, but with two screws that hold the ramrod pipes to the wood and threaded into bosses on the bottom of the barrel.

Clearly, not even close to replicating anything made in the 18th or 19th century.  

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:54:30 AM by D. Buck Stopshere »
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 06:53:27 AM »
Thank you very much for the reply.
Educational and informative.
All the best!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 12:25:24 AM »
I have one of these Pedersoli Frontier rifles in .45 percussion.  The previous owner indicated it was a very accurate rifle, though I haven't had a chance to try it myself.

I would expect that you will find yours quite a good shooter, as well, Old Ford2.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 12:53:15 AM »
My first real flintlock was one of these. I heavily reworked it and it was a real tack driver. In a moment of having to have something else, I sold it and I deeply regret it.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?