Author Topic: Johnathon Browning Mountain Rifle .50  (Read 8189 times)

Jay123

Johnathon Browning Mountain Rifle .50
« on: November 05, 2015, 04:38:58 AM »
I was gifted this rifle about 6 months ago.  Seems there were not many made.  Is this a good firearm and hunting rifle or was it not desirable for some reason and thus the limited production?   On the barrel it says it was made in Utah.  Are they good shooters or just a wall hanger?
Regards to all.
Jay123

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Johnathon Browning Mountain Rifle .50
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 05:51:05 AM »
Jay I had one. An wish I still had it. My experience it was a very good rifle. To me thought it looked far better than the Thompson center. I think (imho) like s o many others it fell victim to the more modern black powder guns.  Shot quite a few deer with mine.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 07:21:27 AM »
These are good starter rifles, and are good hunters. They were just too close in configuration to the TC Hawken's, and a dozen others.

Hungry Horse

ricktull

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 11:15:27 PM »
I had a couple of those, and they were good guns

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 11:41:56 PM »
What type of rifling and rate of twist did those rifles have?

ken

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 11:47:09 PM »
I have one and it is still a good shooter and great for hunting. Be happy with your good luck

Jay123

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 07:15:51 PM »
A little research says the twist rate is  one turn in 60 inches.
Jay123

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 08:41:22 PM »
IMHO they, as well as the GPR's are WAYYYYY ahead of the TC's and the host of Italian guns that looked just like the TC's.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

HAWKEN

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 10:09:27 PM »
The fit and finish are excellent.  The only complaint I have ever heard was that they are heavy.  I wish I had one.........robin   :)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 03:30:57 AM »
There's a couple of things that erk me about the Browning Mt. rifle, and a couple of things it has going for it.

It is way out ahead of a T/C or any other Hawken 'replica'.  It has a decent weight and architecture, and as far as I can see, they are quite accurate and reliable.

The design of the stock lends itself to 'slack sanding' which speeds production, and keeps the price low.  But the lack of the details owing to that production method, leaves the rifle short of panache.

The lock:  why did someone think they could re-invent the lock and make it better.  The mainspring with roller makes the lock feel wrong...it is soft at the bottom where it should be heavy, and heavy at the full cock, where it should be light.  I don't like the rifle for those two reasons.  But that said, it is still a much more desirable rifle than the Italian efforts, or the T/C.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 05:04:21 AM »
I have one and I'm glad I am not the only one that thinks that lock innards suck.  Feels odd when you cock the hammer.  Feels like a weak mainspring at first but gets harder to cock as you thumb it back.  But it works.  Dang gun I'll swear with my younger buddies 35 year old eyes it'll put 5 shots in a big old ragged hole at 50 yards for sure. Thinkin about using it at the Sgt York shoot next spring.

Bob

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 11:03:50 PM »
Keep a good, small hole nipple in the gun so as to prevent excess cap fragging on disharge.  ALWAYS wear shooting glasses.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:29:56 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

BlueMntCeltic

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »
I have two of J. Browning's rifles and have found them extremely well made and accurate.  My $0.02.

Jay123

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 02:44:21 AM »
HI Guys and thanks for the information on my Browning Rifle I appreciate all the comments. Last week I did manage to shoot it about 20 times.  I used a .490 ball with .12 lubed patch pushed with 90 Gr of FFG.  Was able to hit a 6 inch target at 40 yards with about a 2 1/2 to 3 inch group.  Not bad for a novice.  Question is, some of the patches were smoking and burning on the ground with the 90 gr. load.  I lowered to 75 to 80 gr.and  it did not happen again.  I did not see any difference in target group with a slightly reduced load.  Normal?  Reasonable load??  Fun to shoot. 
Jay123

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 04:51:31 AM »
Patch is too thin by half.  Find some pure cotton or linen material that is .020" +...then you will halve the size of your group at 50 yards, and have no more torn and burning patches.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Squirrel pizza

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 12:11:44 AM »
A buddy of mine said he couldn't get his Browning to hit, and knowing I was a superior marksman asked me to see what was up with it. That rifle is still in my closet and will stay there, except when I need to shoot something really big, mean, and ornery. I think they're well made accurate rifles. And the prices I've seen on them, when you can find one for sale seem to reflect that. Good luck with yours, but if you decide you don't want it give me a holler. I wouldn't mind owning two.