Author Topic: Identify longrifle  (Read 5786 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Identify longrifle
« on: November 06, 2015, 08:37:31 PM »
Can anyone identify the maker of this rifle?  Would you say Upper Susquehanna?

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Identify longrifle
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 08:37:08 AM »
It's a lot like a W. Moyer rifle I have seen which was made at Washington Courthouse in Ohio. Plate in barrel has maker's name and the date 1850. Patchbox is similar as is the profusion of inlays. Is this rifle signed?
Dick

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 03:00:26 PM »
It isn't signed however I have a rifle that I think is by the same maker that has a brass plate inlet into the barrel  where he signature would've been but it's not signed either
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 08:48:12 PM »
You might want to peruse Gunsmiths and Allied Tradesmen of Georgia by Wayne T. Elliott & James B. Whisker

A number of guns in that book have the lock panel outlined by an inlay, as does this one sold by AAWT

I saw none in the book with similar patchboxes. Still I would consider the possibility that this rifle was made in Georgia.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 01:05:00 AM »
I'm certain this same rifle is on the jamesdjulia website with several good pictures. Google search
Wiley Higgins rifle, interesting facts like don't push on the  patchbox release button on the buttplate
extension.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 01:57:01 AM »
I actually have two rifles that I think are by this maker or at the very least share many of the same characteristics but both of mine have steel butt plates deep-c shaped stieel butt plates

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 05:17:05 PM »
Mr. Meister,
  Voltaire ??? ???...not the rifle of course, but your new signature ::)
                  ;D Shreck, NOT Meister

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 05:22:59 PM »
Waldmaus,
     Close....Thomas Jefferson.  Rye you no call.