Author Topic: Advice needed. Tennessee rifle  (Read 16031 times)

Online FDR

Re: Advice needed. Tennessee rifle
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 05:14:37 PM »
Here is a link to the only photo of a Bearden rifle I could find on the Lincoln Co history sites.

http://image1.findagrave.com/photos/2008/134/26818384_121080634276.jpg

My family lived on the Elk river near Bearden's mill and my G grandfather was also in the 8th Tenn CSA and fought at Stones River with Bearden's son who was wounded and later died.  474 charged a Union line of cannons and 128 survived the charge. My G grandfather was one of the survivors!  He had just turned 18 years old.

BillingsDave

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 06:15:14 PM »
Thanks for the picture. I have found these:

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Black%20Powder%20Muskets/Kentucky%20Rifle/new/Kentucky%20Rifle%20by%20Alfred%20Bearden/Kentucky%20Rifle%20by%20Alfred%20Bearden.html

http://www.damonmills.com/PS%20Pages/PS%202/TN_KY_Rifle_Full.jpg

But the quality is poor when they are enlarged. It is impossible to make out much detail.  Your G grandfather was a very lucky guy! When I was growing up in the 50's we still had some great aunts and uncles who remembered my GG grandfather. They always said he was a very "dangerous" man. I have an idea that came from his CW service. Southern Missouri saw the worst gorilla warfare of the entire war, and it appears his unit spent most of the time chasing down gorilla bands. A pretty nasty business with probably little to be proud of on either side. 

nosrettap1958

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 08:33:48 PM »
In that one picture he said to call to go over the particulars. That's a place to start. Both were Free Masons, I would definitely go with the Bearden rifle.

As a note, your GG Grandfather probably knew JB 'Bill' Hickok who was a scout for the union cavalry in Missouri during the struggle. He was pretty dangerous!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:37:13 PM by crawdad »

Online FDR

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 09:12:02 PM »
My G grandfather ended up in Fort Griffin Texas following the War. Being on the losing side was a very bad thing in Tennessee!  Earp, Masterson, Hickok and all the other buffalo hunters came through there. Small world.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2015, 04:49:12 AM »
Go with Alfred Bearden. My family lived in Franklin county around the same time and there was a Bean maker near Huntland. The Beardens made fine rifles that were very popular and distinct. Either would be a good choice.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

BillingsDave

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2015, 05:04:10 AM »
I had never thought about the possibility that my GG grandfather knew Hickok but it makes sense. Hickok was all over this area as a scout, and my GG grandfathers company was continuously active in hunting gorilla bands etc. Right after the war Hickok killed Dave Tutt on the square in Springfield Missouri. Shot him through the heart with a colt cap and ball revolver at 75 yards. Quite a shot! He got off as it was considered self defense. I was able to find a copy of the May 1992 of Muzzle Blasts magazine that has a Bearden rifle on the cover. I had also heard that Bearden was a farmer who made rifles as a sideline, so was surprised to see that in the 1850 census he lists his and his 17 year old sons occupations as gunsmiths.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:08:16 AM by BillingsDave »

nosrettap1958

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2015, 06:03:02 AM »
Not just any cap and ball revolver, Sir......but the greatest handgun of all time, the '51 Navy Colt!!!!!  

Given the history of that area during the Struggle and the well documented butchery your GG Grandfather must have been one mean dude. John McCorkle, "We ask no quarter and we will give no quarter."  

That would be great if he kept a journal or wrote home about his experiences, man what a book that would be.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 06:10:30 AM by crawdad »

BillingsDave

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2015, 07:54:39 PM »
Not just any cap and ball revolver, Sir......but the greatest handgun of all time, the '51 Navy Colt!!!!!  

Given the history of that area during the Struggle and the well documented butchery your GG Grandfather must have been one mean dude. John McCorkle, "We ask no quarter and we will give no quarter."  

That would be great if he kept a journal or wrote home about his experiences, man what a book that would be.

Yep, it was a 1851 Navy!  Unfortunately we don't have any letters or journal that he kept, but we do have this. Here he is, the man his self:

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2016, 06:14:30 AM »
...Was just now reading your post....New to this forum, and have been a student of Tennessee rifles about 40 years...I live in neighboring county to Lincoln Co. There were great photos of a Alfred  or Pleasant Bearden  rifle on the cover of "Muzzle Blasts" several years ago....will try to find that date for you...I own a cap full walnut stock rifle that came from an estate in Lincoln Co. Is supposed to be made by Jesse Bean in neighboring Franklin county near former home of Crockett at place called Huntland......Very plain rifle...Have seen one other that came from same area....Most likely at that time, he would have carried a gun made by a local smith.....Post a picture of your finished project please....!!!