Author Topic: Patent breech chamber scraper  (Read 4741 times)

Offline Bluesmoke

• Starting Member
Patent breech chamber scraper
« on: November 10, 2015, 08:14:28 AM »
A friend has a Lyman .54 perc Trade rifle.He has not cleaned (scraped with a scraper) the firing chamber and consequently suffers misfires a lot.

What I read on the net tells me the chamber is .35 cal.
I have turned a scraper down to that but am not sure of the base of the chamber is square or hemispherical. I have seen diagrams on google where Knock breeches where hemi shaped. At the monument the scraper has a square base.

The rifle is is 60 miles away and I have no access to it for 3 weeks or so, so theres no trial and error fitting  ???.

Has any one removed  a Lyman breech and can you tell me if the chamber is square bottom or not.?

Thanks

Bluesmoke
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:05:23 AM by Bluesmoke »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: Patent breech chamber scraper
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 07:12:10 PM »
Why don't you make two styles of scrapers and see which one works when you get there?
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 06:10:55 PM »
A .40 or .45 caliber nylon not brush trimmed to a taper and with the twisted steel wire cut flush at the front might be more serviceable than a scraper.  The size of the tapers might vary by caliber.  My Lyman's that have been shot hundreds of times don't have a fouling build up in the breech area.  Could be something else going on.  Not sure what you mean by a "square" base.  They don't have the nock breech shape at all.
Mike Lee

Offline EC121

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 07:24:16 PM »
Look at the breech plug brush from Muzzleloader Builders Supply, it should form to the breech as it turns.  Might depend on how deep the chamber is.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:25:23 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline BJH

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 12:13:27 AM »
I would bet the chamber finishes as a plain drilled hole. So my thought is your scraper should approximate the point of a drill either 82 degrees included angle or 135 degrees. BJH
BJH

Offline rsells

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 10:47:51 PM »
You can black the edges of your scraper with a marker and push it into the barrel, twist the scraper in the chamber, remove the scraper and see where it is rubbing against the I.D. of the chamber.  File the areas that were touching, reblack, and do the process again.  It is slow, but you should be able to profile the scraper much like the process you inlet a part into a stock, but reversed.  When you have the metal rubbing all the way around the scraper, you have the profile.
                                                                                 Roger