Author Topic: Helping a new flint shooter cure flinching  (Read 16520 times)

Offline LH

Re: Helping a new flint shooter cure flinching
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2018, 02:20:45 PM »
Making sure you are 100% safe, you might give this a try........... when I have gotten "jumpy" on the trigger,  I'll fire a few shots with my eyes closed to remove the distraction of trying to hit a target.  Shoulder and get ready to fire at a safe backstop, like into a close berm, then close eyes and think only of smooth trigger action.  Doing it in dry fire practice might help too.   I have also considered a lobotomy but that could get expensive and might carry some possibility of unknown consequences.   :o

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Helping a new flint shooter cure flinching
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2018, 06:45:24 PM »
If your gun has a set trigger that can be fired unset, try some shots without setting the trigger. I found that I tend to anticipate the snap of a really light set triggers, and that combined with the flash of the pan made me flinch every time. I started shooting with the triggers unset, and the concentration required to squeeze the trigger,stopped the flinching. So, I went back to shooting the gun with the triggers set. And, in no time I was flinching again. I built a new gun with a simple trigger, that breaks at about three pounds. Mission accomplished, I shoot well, and don’t flinch.
 Making sure that your lock time is as fast as possible is another trick to keeping the dreaded flinches at bay.

Hungry Horse