Author Topic: Smith damascus barrel English fowler  (Read 3377 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Smith damascus barrel English fowler
« on: November 11, 2015, 03:03:19 AM »
Hello folks.
I scored this fowler in an online auction, and I am trying to get as much info about it as I can. It is about a 17 gauge with a damascus barrel 36.5" long. The lock is engraved with game birds, and the name SMITH. Any info would be appreciated.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Smith damascus barrel English fowler
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 03:53:03 AM »
i wonder if the cock is a replacement....a round faced cock mounted on a fully evolved English flintlock.  Gun is in nice shape.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 06:49:40 AM »
Hey Taylor. Nice to see you here. Could be. The guy I got it from picked it up at a gun show, and had no idea what he had, or the history of it. I'll be able to look at it closer when I get my hands on it.

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 05:49:49 PM »
Justin

The name of Smith is well known name of which there were many  in the flint and percussion period,both in London and more so in Birmingham the name was also spelt Smithe and Smyth .Most likley your gun was built by London gunmaker James Smith of 19, St Martins Lane 1796 and also 50 Chambers St 1798.
Has for your gun this has been restored  with certain things added ,the cock is repro and more assoiciated to a miliatary cock it should have been flat faced for a sporting gun ,the fizzen is also a repro the checkering is also wrong and not the English flat top .
Feltwad
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:54:27 PM by Feltwad »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 08:02:11 PM »
I agree with most of Feltwad's input.  I think the stock has been heavily 'cleaned'.  The edges of the lock moldings and other places have been rounded over, and the colour and finish isn't original, I think.
Justin, I bought an old Ketland fowling piece in the last century, reconverted the lock back to flint and used it as my smoothbore for many many years.  Perhaps this one is in that kind of shape.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 08:22:25 PM »
I thought the checkering looked pretty novice on a nice gun like this. I might be able to find a suitable cock for a replacement somewhere. Maybe I'll bring it by the shop, Taylor and get your better up close opinion. Pictures only do so much.   I think the touch hole looks a little burnt out, so I'll have to put in a liner.  For $750 there was no way I was going to pass on this.