Author Topic: Rifle/smoothbore/firelock bore pictures using $14 endoscope  (Read 4331 times)

Offline Flint62Smoothie

Rifle/smoothbore/firelock bore pictures using $14 endoscope
« on: November 11, 2015, 06:22:11 AM »
FYI, my twin brother took these pictures of the bore of one of his black powdah cartridge arms using one of those LED 5.5mm endoscopes that are sold on the traders of the likes of eBay and Amazon. They come with a 5' or longer cable that plugs into the USB port of your computer or laptop. There is a CD included with it, that you need to load, to allow for video or screen capture.

The focal length is a good inch or so and if placed any closer, the image is distorted. However, for best use with firelocks, a white cloth cleaning patch or tuft of cotton ball is put down into the bore, which works well to allow the adjustable lights on the endoscope to brighten the image for best viewing.

I thought it was pretty cool!

I hope this is OK to post here on these forums, as many here seem very interested in their firelocks, original or not, and this is a pretty slick and inexpensive way to check the condition ...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 10:55:42 PM by Ky-Flinter »
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Daryl

Re: Rifle/smoothbore/firelock bore pictures using $14 endoscope
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 08:16:39 PM »
I am surprised at the quality of the pictures. Thanks. Now to find a store where I can obtain one of those.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 05:30:18 AM »
What kind of longrifle did you say this is?
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 05:55:45 AM »
This looks like a handy tool for inspecting the bore on longrifles. 

The moderators have been discussing the pictures, whether to remove them or not.  I think they will be allowed since they demonstrate the tool and the BPC rifle is not being discussed.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 08:11:02 PM »
I agree with them bring left, however the third picture is not needed.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline JBJ

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 01:36:03 AM »
Perhaps not but the detail shown could easiy have been a breech plug face. I'm sold and will try to order one of the endoscopes. Really curious about the originals that find their way to the house and the conditions deep in the bore.
J.B.