Author Topic: wall gun??PUNT gun??, shoulder stocked  (Read 16471 times)

Offline Bob Roller

Re: wall gun??PUNT gun??, shoulder stocked
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2015, 11:12:43 PM »
I have no idea where I got this photo but it is a punt gun

Looks like an "X"center match on old Broadway to me.
 Bob Roller

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 09:59:41 PM »
Very interesting.  One can imagine that this was one heck of a beautiful gun when it was made.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

kaintuck

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
Fellas, thank you for the help on this ol gal......no need to PM about buying it, it has been spoken for by a well known member. I truly hope the lady sells it to him, as we will all see her restored to perfection....as this feller can do it!
I secretly think this one of mikes early pieces.....he probably made it when was a boy in the contenintal army.... ;D

Come on...fess up mike!

::)
Marc n tomtom

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2015, 10:54:29 AM »
A small punt or bank gun

A Stand of punt and  Bank guns

A pair of punt guns

A stand of Fowling Guns

Feltwad

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2015, 03:32:38 PM »
Thanks for posting those pics Feltwad. I like the one in the top picture, very  early, maybe 1770's or 60's. Have to see the lock better to know for sure.

There were alot of large shoulder mounted cap lock guns used here in the Midwest. Usually 8 to 4 bore with 38" to 48" barrels. Mostly single barrels , but a few doubles. They are usually English or Belgian, none were made here.They show up around here all the time, usually in "well used" condition. This area was a major flyway with all it's rivers. They are universally called "Market Guns" in this area.

Punt guns were also used here. They very rarely show up, probably as they were outlawed after time and seized by authorities.  They seem to be "home stocked" and are exceptionally crude.

Here's my version of a Hudson River "Bank Gun".

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 03:39:48 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

kaintuck

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 03:53:09 PM »
Mikie,  this ol gal tho is a swamped HEAVY barrel.....and has 2 dovetails where the sight began....then filled in, and a new dovetail cut, with the new sight installed....and then there's the fancy lad wood carving on the stock......pretty odd..... ???

I think IF the fella gets it who I HOPE gets it....he will restore it, and it might be a new category....a castle wall gun......for the rich folk in shooting off the castle walls, it appeared to be my christain Spring rifle scaled x2.......

Marc n 😸

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 04:28:40 PM »
Mikie,  this ol gal tho is a swamped HEAVY barrel.....and has 2 dovetails where the sight began....then filled in, and a new dovetail cut, with the new sight installed....and then there's the fancy lad wood carving on the stock......pretty odd..... ???

I think IF the fella gets it who I HOPE gets it....he will restore it, and it might be a new category....a castle wall gun......for the rich folk in shooting off the castle walls, it appeared to be my christain Spring rifle scaled x2.......

Marc n 😸

You have it figured out. It is a wall gun for a euro castle owned by the Duke of Earl......reminds me of a song....I think I'll sing it for a while..... there got that out of my system..... ;D They super swamped barrel and the carving is pretty standard for a German wall gun, not odd at all.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »

Here's my version of a Hudson River "Bank Gun".

[/quote]

{Snap}  Flintlock 2 bore  bank gun

Feltwad
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:57:36 PM by Feltwad »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 08:59:50 PM »
Nifty, and a 2 bore to boot, mine is only an 11 bore. Yours looks to have a very early lock reused on a later gun.

kaintuck

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 11:55:54 PM »
With powder getting as high as it was back then....we just might have to put these gals to work again!

Marc n tomtom