• Personal Website
gun
« on: November 19, 2015, 04:50:57 AM »
Posted for an acquaintance.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 04:53:10 AM by Jim Kibler »

Offline gibster

Re: gun
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 05:02:53 AM »
Watched the auction on line the other day when this went through.  I'm interested in hearing opinions on who or where this may have been made.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 05:32:48 AM »
Clearly the work of William Schreckengost. I've seen all the elements on other rifles. Which auction did this go through and how the heck did I miss it.  It looks like his earlier work 1850s   Please share the details and do you have a photo of the cheek side
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 05:36:04 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 05:38:06 AM »
I really like the fanned out engraving on the patch box near the buttplate
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Molly

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 06:03:44 AM »
Back to the "guess-a-gun" routine!  I like it!!  Both the routine and the gun.  I would not have the foggiest idea of the maker however it stands alone in my view and someone certainly should know.  Good guess on the 1850's since the date stamped on the barrel is 1855! ;)

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »
As Mr. Shreckmeister has stated, classic William G. Shreckengost furniture and stock architecture.
Putneyville, PA circa. 1855 ;D
                             Shreck ( NOT Meister ) ::)

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 05:35:56 PM »

Paul E. Wog

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 07:05:52 PM »
And, the man his own self ;D

Offline Molly

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 09:12:25 PM »
In all my few years I have never seen a firearm (longrifle) that seems to stand out with features which are so unique.  Great patch box and the rear hinge....that's a first for me, not to even mention the sharp crescent of the butt plate.  Is there anyone else who make anything like that?

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 12:03:26 AM »
Love that patchbox.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 12:59:28 AM »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 03:46:46 AM »
Another fine Shreckengost turns up!

Rob, If you could learn to make rifles like the rest of your family . You  could leave your day job!
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 07:21:12 PM »
     I would love to see this rifle alongside a few Shreckengost rifles for comparison.  I understand it
is signed by another maker who was 12 years his junior.  Could it be a link between master and
apprentice.  They were only a dozen miles apart.  The engraving is hard to see in the picture, but it
could be by a different hand.  Hard to tell since Shreckengost's engraving improved over the years.
The signature is definitely in the style of Shreckengost, same cartouche and floral embellishment.  The
inlays are from his templates.  I hear there is an eagle on the cheek that looks like the eagles made by
the other maker.  Very interesting gun.