Author Topic: STP as Breech Plug thread lube  (Read 5598 times)

Offline SCLoyalist

STP as Breech Plug thread lube
« on: November 20, 2015, 04:48:16 AM »
I had cause to unbreech a 40+ year old flinter a few days ago.  Am about ready to reassemble, but my tube of TC Anti-seize seems to have gone dry on me.   Other threads on the forum refer to STP as a suitable thread lube.  Is that STP Oil Additive or STP Motor Treatement, or one of the other STP products?    Thanks, SCL

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: STP as Breech Plug thread lube
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 06:03:50 PM »
 if STP worked all that well, they wouldn't sell anti-seze now would they? I use a nickel based high heat anti-seze, and have had no problems removing anything I use it on.

Hungry Horse

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 06:31:20 PM »
I had cause to unbreech a 40+ year old flinter a few days ago.  Am about ready to reassemble, but my tube of TC Anti-seize seems to have gone dry on me.   Other threads on the forum refer to STP as a suitable thread lube.  Is that STP Oil Additive or STP Motor Treatement, or one of the other STP products?    Thanks, SCL
Add a little of that STP to the dried TC Anti-seize and you may have the best of both worlds 8)!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline One Eye

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 07:09:21 PM »
if STP worked all that well, they wouldn't sell anti-seze now would they? I use a nickel based high heat anti-seze, and have had no problems removing anything I use it on.

Hungry Horse
Horse, would you please tell me what you use?
Thanks,
One Eye
"Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace..."
 Proverbs 17:28

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 08:01:46 PM »
I have used white lithium grease for years, without any problems. Also use it on the threads of the nipple on my under hammer target rifle.

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 08:35:10 PM »
I have used white lithium grease for years,

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 09:41:10 PM »
If you want to use a product that is designed as an anti-seize solution, Yamaha sells one.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 11:07:33 PM »
The anti sieze sold for spark plugs works good on nipples.  Might be useful on a breech plug as well.
Mike Lee

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 07:00:31 PM »
I use the nickel-based antisieze sold in auto supply stores. Works great.
Gene

Offline One Eye

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 11:29:22 PM »
Thanks Gene. The stuff I have is copper based and very old.
One Eye
"Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace..."
 Proverbs 17:28

Offline Dave R

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 05:29:46 AM »
I used regular silver anti seize for years however it seemed to crawl to the joint where the barrel meets the top of the tang and mess up my browning, Now I use teflon tape and no mess at this joint and probably seals better when i clean the barrel!

Offline Dave R

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 02:58:44 AM »
Anyone else use teflon tape on the breech plug??? What are your thoughts??

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 06:18:23 AM »

I use the ORIGINAL STP (blue bottle) for fitting breech plugs and fitting barrels on brass suppository guns.
Its a zinc compound used in motor oil to prevent metal to metal contact. IE a form of Extreme Pressure lube.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 06:20:13 AM »

Hungry Horse

Anti-seize is used for different purposes. I use STP cause its easier to clean up and works really well.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 06:32:27 PM »
Its a zinc compound used in motor oil to prevent metal to metal contact. IE a form of Extreme Pressure lube.
You are only partially correct.  It is an extreme pressure lubricant.  It is not a zinc compound, but it does contain a zinc additive and also modifies the film strength of motor oil.  STP was developed for use in highly modified engines that had high lift cams and heavy valve spring pressures.  Older motor oils once contained the zinc compound, but it has been omitted in modern oils.  The reason is that auto manufacturers went to roller cams, which all modern cars have, that greatly reduced the torsional friction of those related parts and it is no longer required.  Thus the zinc additive was no longer required.  Shortly thereafter, flat tappet vehicles started experiencing early camshaft and lifter failures and additives were developed for these cars.  When I tore into my 80 Pontiac, it had 5 worn lobes.  I have to use a can of STP with every oil change now.

Anyway, using STP on an existing breechplug will probably result in turning it past the index mark when re-installing it unless great care is taken.  While it's probably OK to use when initially installing a breechplug, it's not an anti-seize and should not be used as such.  You could end up with a loose breechplug.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson