Author Topic: Mike Brooks video  (Read 18466 times)

Offline tim crowe

Mike Brooks video
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:50:39 AM »
http://www.craftsmanslegacy.com/episodes/season_1/Episode-8#undefined

For you new guys that don't know Mike, you might learn something. ;D

Offline okieboy

Re: Mike Brooks video
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:54:48 AM »
 Whoever that guy in the video is, he does not look like the picture of Mike Brooks that is beside his posts! :D
Okieboy

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:09:17 AM »
You'll learn my dog is the star of the show. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 03:50:23 AM »
I want a hat like that!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 03:53:42 AM »
I'd give that fine looking dog a high five as a good supporting actor Mike. you stole the show though. Good production values and I enjoyed the video.

dave
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 03:54:02 AM by PPatch »
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Dave R

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 04:41:23 AM »
Mike, Was that you that had a muzzleloading shop somewhere in the Davenport quad cities area 20 plus years ago in a building with a lot of glass interior and external windows? If not you do you know who it was??  ???
EXCELLANT VIDEO!! Keep up the great gun work!!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:41:53 AM by Dave R »

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 04:49:28 AM »
Good video. I enjoyed seeing where my rifle is being made. Very pretty dog ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 06:52:29 AM »
I wanted to see more of the chicken farming , I actually then the chickens are turning out the flintlocks!  ;D
Mike does the dog hunt pheasants? I should stop in on the road trip down to Bookies, you cant be far from Newton?
Tim

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 02:30:50 PM »
Good video Mike. Your dog loves you so you can't be to bad. "lol"
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 03:55:03 PM »
 Really neat, enjoyed that.

Tim C.

PS: Interesting to hear that in Iowa 72" is 5 ft :D

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »
Mike, Was that you that had a muzzleloading shop somewhere in the Davenport quad cities area 20 plus years ago in a building with a lot of glass interior and external windows? If not you do you know who it was??  ???
EXCELLANT VIDEO!! Keep up the great gun work!!
My first shop in Davenport was in a corn crib. It was 21' X 7' with probably five windows I put in along the 21'. I had a LP  gas furnace hanging from the ceiling in the far end to keep me relatively "warm" in the winter. I was only in there for a couple years before I got tired of freezing to death and the rats eating my books. I moved into the basement after that. Had a great view of our pasture out of those windows. Shot alot of ground hogs out of that shop. Quite a stunt for living in "town". ;D
 I just got done hanging that same furnace in my current shop. Now, if only the LP gas guys would bring me a tank....supposed to have been here one week ago today. ::)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 04:13:31 PM »
Good video. I enjoyed seeing where my rifle is being made. Very pretty dog ;D
Gus is *#)*^~ now. He ain't pretty, he's handsome. ;) Gus has a little girl buddy now, Mt. cur puppy I picked up at the end of August. Little Beezy is more of a mouse hunter at the moment. :P
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:20:25 PM by Mike Brooks »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 04:16:03 PM »
I wanted to see more of the chicken farming , I actually then the chickens are turning out the flintlocks!  ;D
Mike does the dog hunt pheasants? I should stop in on the road trip down to Bookies, you cant be far from Newton?
Tim
He'd hunt well if I hunted him, he's got the heart and nose for it. My hips hurt to much to do that kind of walking through tall grass anymore.
I'm 11 miles west of "THE WORLDS LARGEST TRUCK STOP". Can see it from my upper story windows. Probably an hour and a half or a bit more east of Bookies. I heard the world ends just west of Iowa City so I'm not sure you can get here from there.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:23:29 PM by Mike Brooks »

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 04:52:48 PM »
I am headed down to Bookies sometime in the next month to forge a barrel for a bear rifle, I will see if time permits to stop in. Could not resist posting the video after all your free advice lately especially since you are closing in on gun#400, you must have some experience there!  ;D :o

nosrettap1958

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 08:40:38 PM »
I wouldn't want that dog *#)*^~ off at me.

Typical response when someone for the first time picks up a swamped barreled long rifle, "WOW!!!!!!!"  ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:50:41 PM by crawdad »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 11:07:48 PM »
I really enjoyed the video - loved the dogs.  Those rifles are beauts; fascinating how Mike builds them with so few tools.  I've seen other shops and that seems to be rule.  I can only dream about getting one.  :'( 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 11:39:58 PM »
I really enjoyed the video - loved the dogs.  Those rifles are beauts; fascinating how Mike builds them with so few tools.  I've seen other shops and that seems to be rule.  I can only dream about getting one.  :'( 
I have a whole bunch of tools, just don't use them. I gotta keep it simple. :P

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 07:31:46 PM »
One to three weeks to build a rifle! :o :o My Lord I can not even get a lock inletted in that time. Just don't have the time to put into it. Some day ::)
Greg

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 10:07:17 PM »
Mike,
I enjoyed the video, and ESPECIALLY enjoyed seeing Gus. He has a really nice square head...not "snipey".
My family raised Weimaraners when I was growing up. I spent most of my young life sharing bed and car space with big grey dogs.  ;D

Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 12:04:42 AM »
Mike,
I enjoyed the video, and ESPECIALLY enjoyed seeing Gus. He has a really nice square head...not "snipey".
My family raised Weimaraners when I was growing up. I spent most of my young life sharing bed and car space with big grey dogs.  ;D

He's a big boy too, 85 lbs. There's a saying, "If you own a Weimaraner you wear it on your head. He goes everywhere I go, he also sleeps with me, even for naps, under the covers of course. ;) He's getting pretty deaf these days, don't know if that is typical of the breed or not. Never seen a dog less gun shy, he likes the part when we go down to check the target, especially at 100 yards, he can run back and forth to me and the target five times before I get there. And yes, he has quite a block for a head! ;D

IKE

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2015, 12:56:15 AM »
LOOKING GOOD OLD MAN!

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 04:52:28 AM »
Nice video Mike. I've always enjoyed your fine work.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 06:15:50 PM »
I too enjoyed the program. nicely done. 

Ken
Galations 2:20

Offline rjpalmer

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 10:25:36 AM »
I enjoyed the video very much. It's really nice to see and hear the person behind an ALR posting on the forum. The guns and Gus were great to see too. Thanks Mike for making this possible.

Offline Frank

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 06:13:28 PM »
Enjoyed the video and even learned a helpful hint. The 1/16 drill bit, simple and easy. Thanks Mike.