Author Topic: Mike Brooks video  (Read 18483 times)

kaintuck

Re: Mike Brooks video
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 10:42:40 PM »
I kept expecting Paris or Britney to help in the shop.....where were they at?

Marc n tomtom

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 02:44:05 AM »
I kept expecting Paris or Britney to help in the shop.....where were they at?

Marc n tomtom
Unfortunately my wife won't let me keep attractive young women in my shop.... :-\  I myself try and chase retired old men out. That just leaves Gus and Beezy, and if it's cold they'd just as soon stay in the house. ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 07:35:23 AM »
Mike, you must be getting famous. I was working a house doing carpentry work and i had  made some wrought iron counter supports. The lady says I watched a show last weekend that....................some blacksmith was building a gun and it was filmed by a biker, it was a really neat show that films the creative arts , saddle making , glass blowing etc. It took me a second to realize she had seen your show and was taking about you. So we had a chat about it, she was really surprised that people still hunted with them.

OldSchool

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 11:03:11 PM »
Firstly allow me to introduce myself. I am a twice retired elderly (gentle)man from the hills of North Georgia. Though I have been registered here for better than a year, this is my first post. The reason for that is that I am not sufficiently knowledgeable of gun building to offer advice or criticism. 
The past 15 months have been spent reading archive posts and doing searches on points of interest.
Please allow me to say THANK YOU to all for the "eye candy" that you provide. I have 60+ years of building "things", but the products you guys put out is ART. Fantastic pieces of art.
As my login indicates, I am OldSchool...in thoughts and actions. My motivation to post on this thread is to say I like "curmudgeion" (sic) answers. No hurt feelings here. Too hot for you, step outta the kitchen.
Now to Mr. Brooks video...I really enjoyed watching it, especially the part where the neophyte rammed his finger with the ball starter. The "Bear Claw" Chris Lapp quip of "yeah, saw it right off" really cracked me up  ;D.
Please tolerate my lurking and allow me to feast on the fantastic craftsmanship and art that you guys create.
Thank you so much,
Paul

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2015, 01:02:27 AM »
Paul,
Welcome to ALR, hope your stay is long.

Lots of "curmudgeons" here ;D I am an old one (72) myself but I think we have a few younger ones here as well ;)

I also enjoyed Mike's video, I think he is still embarrassed that he came across as a real mid-western gentleman!

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 05:21:31 PM »
The Craftsman's Legacy crew assured my I'd be buried with work from this show. (as if I need to string my list out past 1 1/2 years ::)). Most of the calls and emails have been "Can you fix Pa Paw's old gun so's I kin shoot 'er?" ::)
Got a call from a guy in Texas a couple days ago and wanted one of my " squirrels rifles I had in stock" I told him it would be nearly 2 years before I could get him a rifle. He was absolutely shocked that I had nothing for sale.
 I have only seen the film once, got a DVD, but haven't taken the time to watch it. I have really just gotten a chuckle out of the whole thing. My Mother thinks I'm a big star now though. ;D It was well produced, but when you get right down to it I had 10 minutes to show how to build a gun....not exactly enough time to even scratch the surface.
 During the filming they would always clap  when they started a "take". I insisted if we were continue I would be the one to do the clapping. They agreed, then I proceeded to "miss" while I was trying to clap....they weren't amused.... :P I did get to do the claps for a while, but it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be so gave up the privilege. ;D
 Was it fun? Yes, pretty much, I got a free lunch. Was it profitable on any level? No, I lost a whole days work. At least Gus the Wonder Dog will live on for ever on film!
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »
The Craftsman's Legacy crew assured my I'd be buried with work from this show. (as if I need to string my list out past 1 1/2 years ::)). Most of the calls and emails have been "Can you fix Pa Paw's old gun so's I kin shoot 'er?" ::)
Got a call from a guy in Texas a couple days ago and wanted one of my " squirrels rifles I had in stock" I told him it would be nearly 2 years before I could get him a rifle. He was absolutely shocked that I had nothing for sale.
 I have only seen the film once, got a DVD, but haven't taken the time to watch it. I have really just gotten a chuckle out of the whole thing. My Mother thinks I'm a big star now though. ;D It was well produced, but when you get right down to it I had 10 minutes to show how to build a gun....not exactly enough time to even scratch the surface.
 During the filming they would always clap  when they started a "take". I insisted if we were continue I would be the one to do the clapping. They agreed, then I proceeded to "miss" while I was trying to clap....they weren't amused.... :P I did get to do the claps for a while, but it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be so gave up the privilege. ;D
 Was it fun? Yes, pretty much, I got a free lunch. Was it profitable on any level? No, I lost a whole days work. At least Gus the Wonder Dog will live on for ever on film!

Most of us that are independent craftsmen and women rarely have anything for sale off the shelf and never will.
I have the start of a Schuetzen caplock but it will stay as a work not in progress until I can clear the work I have which is to the point where I won't take on any more until it's gone.
Most folks don't realize that this sort of work can not be as one man used to tell me,simply "whipped" out,whatever that means.This guy was a PITA with his ideas about faster work being done for the sake of sales and I finally told him to stay away and needed none of his advice.

Bob Roller

kaintuck

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 08:24:45 PM »
I think the 'work ethic' has gone the way of the dodo bird~ everybody thinks they can get anything the want right off the internet with a credit card......heck, just see the drive thru windows in town......and lord help us if we have to wait for 15min in the restaurant for my steak to be fried up.......... ::)

I LIKE it that there is something left that cant be hurried up!!!!!!!!!!....Kinda like playing the piano.......take years to learn to play....and you ain't gonna BUY the ability~ love it!!! ;D

marc n tomtom.........

ps mike.......I can't even have a Sports Illustrated calendar in my shop..... :-\ :'(
I said I would keep up with the days better IF I could keep it there. SHE said no.......*sigh*

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2015, 07:09:27 PM »
Mr. Brooks, I have an old fowler that was my great, great paw paws.  It needs some work and when you brought up you were receiving such requests, it occurred to me that you may be just the guy to get it going.  The barrel is no good, lots of corrosion around the breech.  The lock and buttplate are missing.  The stock will also need to be replaced.  The ramrod, trigger and trigger guard are in good shape though.  So it is a slight restoration project.  :D

Let me know when you want to get started and I can mail it to you. ;)

Coryjoe

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2015, 07:10:00 PM »
Thanks for posting this Tim.  I enjoyed some of the other episodes as well.

Coryjoe

Offline Mick C

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2015, 09:29:49 PM »
That was great!  Thanks for the link.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2015, 11:13:05 PM »
Mr. Brooks, I have an old fowler that was my great, great paw paws.  It needs some work and when you brought up you were receiving such requests, it occurred to me that you may be just the guy to get it going.  The barrel is no good, lots of corrosion around the breech.  The lock and buttplate are missing.  The stock will also need to be replaced.  The ramrod, trigger and trigger guard are in good shape though.  So it is a slight restoration project.  :D

Let me know when you want to get started and I can mail it to you. ;)

Coryjoe
Are you sure you didn't email me recently? ;D