Author Topic: Making spoon bits?  (Read 14029 times)

Tenn Hills Guy

Making spoon bits?
« on: November 23, 2015, 09:14:04 PM »
Do any of you make your own spoon bits? I attempted to make one from some 3/16's music wire and it actually worked pretty well to make a ramrod channel into a wheellock pistol stock.  I'd like to see a 'properly made' bit, if possible.  Bill

Offline dogcatcher

Re: Making spoon bits?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 09:53:01 PM »
I have never made one that small, and I cheated when I made mine.  I use spade bits and grind the end off round. 

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:45:44 AM by rich pierce »

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:15:31 AM »
I was off on another tangent and ran in to another type of drill bit.  Research D-bit, It might be what you are looking for, but I can't figure out how to make it that small. 

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 03:26:03 PM »
Guys,

There is a small bit of historical evidence that nose bits were used, not spoon bits, for the ramrod hole drill bit.  Certainly this is not a definitively true statement as I feel certain that a wide variety of drill bits were actually used in the period, including spoon bits.  However, the nose bit is specifically designed to drill long straight holes in endgrain wood whereas the spoon bit is specifically designed to drill holes that are at a definite angle to the endgrain.  Here is a discussion about a single ramrod hole drill original tool.

Jim

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=27973.msg266805#msg266805