Author Topic: A Germanic Fowler.....  (Read 9837 times)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
A Germanic Fowler.....
« on: November 28, 2015, 07:53:55 PM »
I started this fowler at the Gun Building Seminar last June, in Ron Scotts class.  I basically got it in the white during those nine days.  Since then, with other builds going on, then football season and hunting, it was hard to find time to finish it.  By far and away, the longest I've ever had a piece in the shop.  Anyway, the fowler is based on an original from the Suhl area.  The furniture is cast from the original.  The carving on the comb, and around the rear pipe is inspired from the original.  The carving around the tang, and the sterling wire is my design.  The engraving on the side plate and butt piece are also something I came up with.  There's a nice French influence associated with this fowler, that I found appealing.  The lock is a Chambers, and the engraving on the lock was inspired from another Germanic piece.  The barrel is a custom Ed Rayl, 20 ga.  The stock is a piece of English Walnut, with some nice figure that I got from Wayne Dunlap.  The stock was not stained, just filled, then finished with Permalyn sealer.

Although it took a little time to complete, I think I enjoyed building this more than any other piece I've done in quite some time.  More than likely I feel that way  because of the challenges associated with such a piece, and it's uniqueness, compared to typical Longrifles.  I'm sure this type of piece will not be to everyone's taste, but I would really like to see more people try their hand at something along these lines.  I think you'd really enjoy it...  If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them, and thanks for lookin'!

Ed

Ed Wenger

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: A Germanic Fowler.....
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 08:15:31 PM »
Super Ed!  I really like it.  The carving reminds me of those French pieces where the wrist evolves from the mouth of a monster.  There's a lot to look at here.  And all of it very well done.  Anytime a builder challenges themselves, and you did it in spades here, the reward is proportional to the effort.  Where do you find silver to make your diminishing sized dots?  Thanks for posting this.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 08:41:16 PM »
That carving is amazing. Inspirational for sure! Incredible job sir.
Greg

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 08:44:26 PM »
Ed I always enjoy your work. This fowler is really nice. The carving is great and I love the silver accent. What is the length of the barrel?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:53:42 PM by Maalsral »
Mark Thomas

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 08:48:57 PM »
Really nice wood under all that excellent work.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 09:45:21 PM »
Now that is really fun to look at. Every thing about it, wood,workmanship,carving, and engraving all top shelf.

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 10:53:20 PM »
Wow!!

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 12:56:42 AM »
WOW is right!  What a wonderful piece, so much to take in.  Well done Ed.  What was your method for filing the grain?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 01:28:36 AM »
I normally don't care for German Fowlers but I really like this one and you did a superb job on it. The only thing I don't care for is the 20 bore, prefer a 16 but that's a minor thing.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 01:44:28 AM »
Your carving and engraving skills are right up there on the top shelf. Beautiful gun
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 02:16:57 AM »
Excellent work. Love every thing about it Ed.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline PPatch

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 02:47:11 AM »
That is a stunner Ed! Excellently done all the way round. Thanks for sharing.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 02:47:56 AM »
WOW! That's magnificent, well done and thanks for showing us. Bob

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 03:18:36 AM »
Thanks very much, everyone.....

The barrel is 42"...

Taylor; I got the silver wire through two sources.  Rio Grande was one, and believe it or not, Amazon was the other.  You can get just about anything on Amazon, lol...  The wire I used for the dots was half hard, and something like 16 - 24 ga.

Ron; I filled the grain on this piece by using Permalyn sealer and sanding with 600 wet/dry sand paper, then wiping across the grain.  On the carving I applied some Permalyn finish, which is the same as the sealer, just not cut as much.  That worked out ok...I didn't want to sand the carving.  Typically, I use Hurters French Red filler (from Brownell's), which I really like, but wanted to try something a little different.

Thanks again!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 03:41:33 AM »
Wow Ed. Amazing work. Where did you get the brass furniture ?

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 03:56:52 AM »
Hey, Tom, thanks!  I got the furniture from Ron Scott.  He has some really beautiful castings, especially if you like the heavily chiseled stuff....  Great for this type of piece, or a Jaeger. 

Ed 
Ed Wenger

Offline Bluelight

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 05:57:44 AM »
I've seen this masterpiece up close and it's a thing of beauty.

Offline Captchee

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 06:05:57 AM »
very nice for sure

Offline acorn20

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2015, 07:20:26 AM »
Superb work Ed!
Dan Akers

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2015, 01:33:35 PM »
Excellent job, Ed.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2015, 02:53:44 PM »
   Late to the party, I can add little to what has already been said about your excellent work on this piece.  You have traveled far on your journey into gun building (stocking) whatever.   Your wire work is flowing, well designed and executed.   Good therapy for all the years dealing with the other side of life....

Best wishes
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 04:06:30 PM »
Wonderful Ed,
I am so glad I got to see it before you finished it at Dixon's.  I said it then, and I repeat myself, that is some of the finest carving I've ever seen on a contemporary muzzleloader.  You are the equal of the very best makers working today.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 07:59:36 PM »
Excellent craftsmanship. Carving and engraving are outstanding. Not enough German fowling guns out there, too bad as they were quite common. You guys with carving and engraving skills should be concentrating on these instead of KY guns. There are a few things that bother me on this gun, doesn't mean anything though, I don't have the skill level to be critical of your level of work. The catches are mainly architectural, and I'm fully capable of making architectural mistakes myself and not seeing them untill the gun is long since out of my hands. I can look back at guns I have made in the past and whack myself in the head  on things I never saw when I built it. Please don't take offense......
 The buttstock seems a little long, in my opinion the comb should end about where the trigger guard grip rail starts. This would also give the comb a bit more height which I think  would help. Also I don't care for the inlays on the forestock, just an aesthetic kind of  thing, they stop the flow of the eye down the forestock....probably just me though.
 I have to build a germanic fowling gun soon. It will be plainer than yours of course as I don't have the skills to decorate to your level. But you will be welcome to critique mine when I'm done. ;)
It really is super work Ed.
 I post this with some hesitation...
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

billd

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »
WOW!!

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2015, 10:40:09 PM »
Lordie Ed!  Real nice work.  I had the same question as Taylor about the dots.  Thanks for answering.